• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member. Howdy.

Vermonster

Hello from Vermont. Thanks for letting me in. Army Engineer Vet. 74-77. Drove 10 Ton Lowbed transporting Equipment, Operated Bulldozers and Scrapers. Heavy Equipment Opr, Long Haul Truck Driver, Logger to Concrete Mixer Drive today. Turned a Wrench or two.
Just bought a 1990 BMY 923A2 yesterday. Tried driving it home, :LOL: Made 40 miles of a 75 mile trip and almost didn't make it up the last hill. Truck was starving for fuel and almost quit. I shoulda known better, but....Luckily the Company I work for has a Plant in this small town and I limped into the yard and shut her down. Bumpy secondary State Roads loosened up the 2" of Crud in the Fuel tanks and plugged up the filters.
Heck of a time getting it going again, but did, and is running OK now with a New Spin On Filter. Somebody put a little Metal In Line Pre Filter that could go on a Lawnmover on righ t behind the Left Front Wheel thats gonna disapear and be replaced with a Regular Spin On soon. Gonna try and make it the rest of the way tomorrow. Clean those tanks out, and bring Her up to snuff.

This BMY is a Far Cry from the Viet Nam Era Trucks I drove and I don't squat about it. I'll be asking questions. Glad I found this Forum and look for to gaining knowledge from Ya'll. Thanks.Dump Truck.jpg

Last edited:

canadacountry

hi @Vermonster , nice truck. and mm don't mind me but it looks a little like its "umm huh?" at noone in particular what with one 'eyebrow' being straight as usual and other 'eyebrow' being dented into a raised effect :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! If you have pictures from back in the day of your M123/172 combo with D7 loaded up be sure to post ‘em!

If you still have fuel issues on your dump, check the fuel tank pickup tubes for rust holes. Common headache.

Vermonster

Welcome! If you have pictures from back in the day of your M123/172 combo with D7 loaded up be sure to post ‘em!

If you still have fuel issues on your dump, check the fuel tank pickup tubes for rust holes. Common headache.
Thanks and I will. For now, I'm thinkin it's just crap in the tanks. Fuel fill is big enough to get my arm down in there and I could feel a couple inches of sludge on the bottom. Filtration system has been Jerry Rigged and soon as I get it home, it'll be done right.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello from Vermont. Thanks for letting me in. Army Engineer Vet. 74-77. Drove 10 Ton Lowbed transporting Equipment, Operated Bulldozers and Scrapers. Heavy Equipment Opr, Long Haul Truck Driver, Logger to Concrete Mixer Drive today. Turned a Wrench or two.
Just bought a 1990 BMY 923A2 yesterday. Tried driving it home, :LOL: Made 40 miles of a 75 mile trip and almost didn't make it up the last hill. Truck was starving for fuel and almost quit. I shoulda known better, but....Luckily the Company I work for has a Plant in this small town and I limped into the yard and shut her down. Bumpy secondary State Roads loosened up the 2" of Crud in the Fuel tanks and plugged up the filters.
Heck of a time getting it going again, but did, and is running OK now with a New Spin On Filter. Somebody put a little Metal In Line Pre Filter that could go on a Lawnmover on righ t behind the Left Front Wheel thats gonna disapear and be replaced with a Regular Spin On soon. Gonna try and make it the rest of the way tomorrow. Clean those tanks out, and bring Her up to snuff.

This BMY is a Far Cry from the Viet Nam Era Trucks I drove and I don't squat about it. I'll be asking questions. Glad I found this Forum and look for to gaining knowledge from Ya'll. Thanks.View attachment 913487
Welcome to the outfit!

Yes sir, crud in the bottom of the tank will definitely clog up the filters.

Vermonster

Welcome to the outfit!

Yes sir, crud in the bottom of the tank will definitely clog up the filters.

Thanks. Well, I'm sure that's part of the issue as the little Lawnmower filter in line was clogged with crap, but on further investigation.... With HELP From You Guys. I now know that this is a common problem with these trucks. Full Tank of Fuel..... She runs like a Top. Fuel level drops, she slowly starts acting Starved. Got her home, pulled the Drop Tube out of the Drivers Side Tank and low and behold found a Hole Chafed through from rubbing on a Baffle I guess inside the tank. The Joint, where Tube was Soldered into the fitting was pretty weak too. Took it all apart, Cleaned, Fluxed and reSoldered. She Purrs like a Kitten. I wouldn't have had a clue if it wasn't for You Guys. Thanks a Bunch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks