• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in Louisiana

jwm3800

I am bidding on some M35A2's on a gov auction site.What is the max i should bid on one? I live about 50 miles from the trucks. How hard would it be to get one started to drive it home?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved these from the other thread. They belong here with this one.

I am trying to check out some M35A2's at a gov auction yard and i am going to try to use four heavy duty auto batteries to hook up to trucks to try to crank them before i buy one.Does anyone have any pointers on this?
Two batteries in series should be enough. I use two common Wal Mart batteries in my Deuces & 5 Tons.
Use jumper cables to connect the positive on one battery to the negative on the other battery. Combined that gives you 24 volts.
Then jump the truck using the two terminals that are left.
If the trucks have completely dead or shorted batteries you may need to disconnect them and just run your jumpers to the disconnected cables.
Remember to keep all connections insulated from each other and ground!
Shorting 24 volts can hurt you and damage things.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am bidding on some M35A2's on a gov auction site.What is the max i should bid on one? I live about 50 miles from the trucks. How hard would it be to get one started to drive it home?
Depends on how much $$$ you have. When I started buying trucks a few years ago, runners where selling for under $1000.

Today the supply of M35A2s from the military is just about dried up, You will part close to $2000 for a parts truck and around $3500/up for a runner.

I have bought trucks that only needed batteries and the last one I bought a few months ago was $1600. What GL didn't list in the ad was that the truck had been wrecked and the frame was bent. Luckily it was only 7 miles from me.

Let me ask you this...if something is wrong with the truck what is your backup plan to recover it?

jwm3800

If i can't crank it i will winch it on a trailer to haul or hire a wrecker if i can afford to. I think some of these trucks will crank witout much work.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JWM,

I'll give you a little 'advice' on the Fort Polk trucks...My next door neighbor just happened to be salivating over mine one day...went on bumbling about having REAL fun in these trucks in the 'back 40' at Polk. Really bragging about tearing them up before having to turn them back in after training.

From what I have seen first hand at GL at Polk: You better do a REAL good check over on them, few are really nice, most are not in the best of shape...missing parts, bad tires, bad and missing batteries, rancid fuel, on and on...

I'm not saying that some can't be gotten to work without too much done to them, you really need to take a CLOSE look see on them.

2cents2cents, yup, 4cents, for inflation!

Oh yeah, Welcome to SS, There is no known cure to OD madness!

Last edited:

Broke Down

Welcome! Better be ready for a day of work if something is wrong. A wrecker usually runs between $700-$1500. I would call and ask several wrecker services what you can do before I bid on anything. I have recovered a few items from there, sometimes you have good luck and other times you go down in flames. Get a plan together, then a back up plan, then a plan invade you have no luck at all.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are that close preview the trucks.

As stated above the deuce supply is getting thin.....a lot of units waited to turn in the junkers so they did not have to turn them in with BII and in running condition.

A lot of the equipment in the LA National Guard and local Army Reserve units were used in Katrina operations and got coated with all kinds of crud....some of those trucks may be getting surplussed out.

As to price they are worth what you are willing to pay for one.

If you are only going to buy one truck I'd find a local seller and get one that you can try out.

Peace of mind is worth the extra you will pay.

onegmjack

Welcome to the site.Read everything you can find on the trucks,study it over,and preview,like WM said.Good hunting,if you want one make it happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks