• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member in WA

HighDollarHooker

Greetings all. I've been looking over the wealth of information here in preparation for a new addition to our fleet arriving the end of this week. We are a fair sized towing and recovery business that identified the need for a good off road recovery rig. After a long search and a lot of dud units, we found an M1089A1 in awesome condition for a fair price. It will enter active service with our company immediately after some emergency lighting and minor additions and will be used for rescuing those vehicles that have ventured a bit too far off the beaten path for us to send our larger wreckers. Mud, snow, mountainous terrain, etc will be the domain of this unit. As with all off road vehicles some bumps and bruises will happen along with the inevitable mechanical breakdowns, and hopefully I can utilize as well as add to the collection of knowledge and experience in this forum. I will post some pictures once it arrives as well as add some pictures of the recoveries we complete with the truck once it is called upon. Advice on this unit from experienced operators is always appreciated as it will be our first MV.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace any wear items now, BEFORE you go out in the field.

This includes all fluids, belts, etc. Between oil, trans, transfer case, differentials, belts, etc figure about 1K$

Tie down points aren't the same as tow points. They have limitations.

Double check all bumper/frame bolt attachment points, especially tie down points, if you're gonna use them for any work whatsoever. It's not uncommon for them to be loose.

Keep a copy of the TMs either with you, on your phone, or on your computer... they're invaluable.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Greetings all. I've been looking over the wealth of information here in preparation for a new addition to our fleet arriving the end of this week. We are a fair sized towing and recovery business that identified the need for a good off road recovery rig. After a long search and a lot of dud units, we found an M1089A1 in awesome condition for a fair price. It will enter active service with our company immediately after some emergency lighting and minor additions and will be used for rescuing those vehicles that have ventured a bit too far off the beaten path for us to send our larger wreckers. Mud, snow, mountainous terrain, etc will be the domain of this unit. As with all off road vehicles some bumps and bruises will happen along with the inevitable mechanical breakdowns, and hopefully I can utilize as well as add to the collection of knowledge and experience in this forum. I will post some pictures once it arrives as well as add some pictures of the recoveries we complete with the truck once it is called upon. Advice on this unit from experienced operators is always appreciated as it will be our first MV.
Welcome to the Outfit!

The books (TM's) for your M1089 is part of the 1083 Series of vehicles. A link for that is below. They are BORING but a lot of things are in them. Flow Charts for troubleshooting and part numbers in another book. Search is your friend! Chances are that you will need to replace the fuel lines. Old age works on those for sure. The cab supports (rubber biscuits behind the grille) need to be looked at. You will be surprised how much better the truck rides when those are replaced... Knowing that you have air ride for the cab makes the ride even better. How to use them is hidden in the TM.

ANYHOW, welcome to the group!
Pictures are welcome here too.

HighDollarHooker

This truck was gone through completely by the seller, including a lot of new parts and the fuel lines replaced. By one of the sites sponsors actually - MME. I have looked through a lot of the TMs on the truck, lots of information and a tremendous amount of repetition lol! I will look over all the advised points recommended, and am sure I will have questions that the TM's can't answer for me.

Probably my first question is how do these trucks stand up to a week or so of downtime between operation? I plan on putting a float charger on it for while it is parked (which will be indoors in a mostly temperature-controlled shop). Do the tires do better being left at a certain PSI while sitting? We do have a full fleet shop, so maintenance won't be an issue as long as the primary needs are known.

I am looking forward to the recovery work with this unit, having been in the towing industry for over 30 years and having operated just about every kind of wrecker other than a military unit. I also am honored to have a piece of equipment to operate that has taken part in the defense and support of our nation. I am certain there are many soldiers that have stories of their times in this exact unit and the predicaments their fellow soldiers managed to get themselves into!

Thanks again for all the advice.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This truck was gone through completely by the seller, including a lot of new parts and the fuel lines replaced. By one of the sites sponsors actually - MME. I have looked through a lot of the TMs on the truck, lots of information and a tremendous amount of repetition lol! I will look over all the advised points recommended, and am sure I will have questions that the TM's can't answer for me.

Probably my first question is how do these trucks stand up to a week or so of downtime between operation? I plan on putting a float charger on it for while it is parked (which will be indoors in a mostly temperature-controlled shop). Do the tires do better being left at a certain PSI while sitting? We do have a full fleet shop, so maintenance won't be an issue as long as the primary needs are known.

I am looking forward to the recovery work with this unit, having been in the towing industry for over 30 years and having operated just about every kind of wrecker other than a military unit. I also am honored to have a piece of equipment to operate that has taken part in the defense and support of our nation. I am certain there are many soldiers that have stories of their times in this exact unit and the predicaments their fellow soldiers managed to get themselves into!

Thanks again for all the advice.
It is funny how it works - at least for me. I have a M1088 that has a 3126 so it is a little newer than my M1089. The M1089 has a 3116 in it. That particular truck will sit for a month and fire right off every time. The M1088 will sit for a week and be fine. A week and a couple of days - and it has to be charged or jumped with a slave cable. In your case with inside parking a float charger would be a nice addition for sure.

I am sure you know what kind of CAT you have in your machine. Guessing that MME would have already fixed "the Oil Line Of Death" if you have a 3116. Other than that, there isn't a lot to do other than replacing old tired rubber that has been baked in the sun for several years.

I don't know if there is any "official" tire pressure numbers. Both of my 108x machines are always set to "Highway" pressure on the CTIS panel. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in with their settings...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got all excited when i saw your call sign and thought it must be my birthday they have started a a thread on my favorite subject !!!!! TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE !!! But were glad your here we need all the help we can get !!!!

HighDollarHooker

I got all excited when i saw your call sign and thought it must be my birthday they have started a a thread on my favorite subject !!!!! TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE !!! But were glad your here we need all the help we can get !!!!
I have no idea what you are talking about there! ;-)

Due to shipping difficulties looks like the unit will be arriving Sunday evening or Monday morning depending on road conditions and the truck driver's navigational abilities. With the problems I had shipping it so far, I am not too hopeful on it being early. Either way, pictures will be forthcoming.

I am sure you know what kind of CAT you have in your machine. Guessing that MME would have already fixed "the Oil Line Of Death" if you have a 3116. Other than that, there isn't a lot to do other than replacing old tired rubber that has been baked in the sun for several years.
It's a C-7 in it. We have a few in the fleet already, one is a repower actually out of a military unit of unknown model, so know our way around the engine pretty well anyhow. We will look it over and replace anything that looks weather cracked but MME did a pretty good job sprucing it up, looked pretty nice without much worn that I could find on it. If we really wanted to, I would have felt just fine driving it back home, but the whole 1900 miles at 58 mph on non off the shelf tires pretty much nixed that idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks