• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member looking for information on first purchase

Firefighter27

New member from Iowa here seeking any information on which truck would make a good daily driver, m35a2, m35a3, or m923a2?
I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but since serving in the army have always wanted one of my own..

61sleepercab

Lots of questions...... what using for................driver license requirement/CDLs........... auto insurance. I have had both Deuce and M925a2 5 ton and I kept 5 ton for auto transmission and air brakes which seem to be easier to maintain. 5 ton cannot be push started and cab is pretty tall. You can have fun either way. See what ownership costs are with purchase price. mark

Firefighter27

License requirement isn't an issue, used to drive semi over the road, and am planning on using it as my daily driver to and from work and play on the weekend. I'm leaning towards the 5 ton as I'm more familiar with the breaking system and engine. But wonder how the mileage compared between the two..

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
License requirement isn't an issue, used to drive semi over the road, and am planning on using it as my daily driver to and from work and play on the weekend. I'm leaning towards the 5 ton as I'm more familiar with the breaking system and engine. But wonder how the mileage compared between the two..
Less than 10mpg on all of them . The 8.3 cummins get better mileage than the NHC 250's .

Rmtaunton

My deuce gets about 11 empty on 395's as for the 925a2 well it has pulled a trailer since the day I picked her up and it got about 7.9 pulling a jeep on a 3k trailer and 6.5 pulling a jeep on a 10 k trailer

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super singles help at all? Heard on a few posts they would get around 12 with super singles

I got between 11mpg and 12mpg out of an M923A2 (super singles, 8.3 turbodiesel ), between Houston and Tulsa. 8-9mpg empty is more what to expect, best case.

The NH250 gets 5-6mpg. I haven't noticed any difference made by super singles.

M35A2 will get substantially better mileage. I got 10mpg out of one while towing 13,000lbs.

I much prefer the 939series 5ton trucks.

Neither would be a consideration for me as a daily driver...

m109a2

You buy what you what firefighter27 but think about the deuce it has been in service since 1949 in every branch of our military, and the forestry service ,fire dept.And lord what else.EMP proof,Multifuel,6x6 with 10 wheels have yourself a flat on a bobbed deuce or a 5 ton you are srewed.I had a flat on my m35a2w/w 1200 mile trip home from N.C. to Lake Charles La.Did I stop heck no I noticed a half inch gap on the outer forward tire and rim.Went 50 m0re miles to truck stop try that with a bobber.

AZK9

Welcome!

Have fun with your search. There's a ton if great information here to help you decide what project to dive into!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks