• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member; M1088 new batteries started once and now will not.

raylmtv

Hello: Where should I start? I a pretty sure I followed the wiring diagram for new batteries, It started once , When I turned it off something was pulsing and making some noise, I disconnected the ground. now it wont turne over, any direction or suggestions? When I got the truck it only had two batteries. thank you

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna have to be real precise here for us to help you. Are you referring to the ignition switch or the red starter button?

raylmtv

When the green ignition is on just seems normal. However I took my voltage meter and checked the braker panel post on the 12 volt side I am getting 20 volts!! I then went to the polarity protection device, what I found was 12 volt batter connection is getting 12v but the 12v load side is closer to the 20 volt range, I'm sure that is not right.!! not sure what I am missing !

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say you have something hook up wrong on battery.
If it was working before that then you've got something wrong

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Coffey1, something is not making proper connection in the battery box most likely. Don’t attempt any more starts until you are 100% sure you have 12 and 24 volts in the proper places.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean and tight battery connections too.

Ronmar

Yep You need 12V and 24V on the appropriate test points in the Power Dist Panel, both static and while pressing the start button(under load).

Sounds like something isnt right. Outer 2 terminals are supposed to be -, connected together and the ground wires connect to them.

The next 4 terminals in the middle(2+,2-) where the inner and outer batts meet are all connected together and where the 12V lead is connected.

The innermost 2 terminals nearest the frame are both +, connected together and the 24v leads are connected there.

there should be a diagram on the inside of the battery box cover...

Green Mountain Boys

The 2 batteries closest to the frame rail are connected in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) forming battery bank 1 @12 volts.
The 2 batteries farthest from the frame rail, and closest to you while standing in front of the battery box, are also connected in parallel forming battery bank 2 @ 12 volts.
Battery bank 1 and battery bank 2 are connected in series (positive to negative) to create 24 volts.

For simplicity and testing purposes, you can use 2 good batteries instead of 4. In this case one battery forms battery bank 1 and one battery forms battery bank 2. Battery bank 1 is wired in series to battery bank 2 to get your 24 volts. You can start your truck this way unless you are in extreme cold or the batteries are not fully charged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks