• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member New Generator MEP-016d

s205designs

Hi everyone, I just purchased a MEP-016D generator from Craigslist it runs and seems to make power so that has to count for something right?

Anyways just wanted to start off with a thank you to all of the members on this forum who helped me know what I’m getting into! This is my first surplus piece of equipment and I hope I can put it to good use.

I've read quite a bit about the different wiring possibilities with this generator and I'm sure i'll need some help with it later. So far the only issue I’ve found with it is the lower poly tank leaks from the drain, is there supposed to be an o-ring somewhere in there?

Thanks,
Jonathan

RangerBob

Last edited:

Isaac-1

The MEP-016D's are MEP-016C (or possibly MEP-016a's) gasoline powered generators that have been retrofitted with a Yanmar L70 1 cylinder diesel. There seems to be a LOT of variations on the conversions, when it comes to wiring, and even exact parts used, most seem to have the original metal belly tanks, others I have seen online seem to have a modern plastic belly tank. I just bought 2 (one went to a fellow forum member) a couple of months ago and just on these 2 sitting side by side I saw a lot of variation in the conversions (one seems to have been done by a contractor, other other maybe by a field unit), here is a list of obvious differences:

Each had different aux electric fuel pumps, one had a Walbro 5000 series pump, the other a Facet Gold Flo like found on most other MEP generators (and most MEP-016D's)

One had professionally built custom length crimped hoses, the other used hose barb adapters and hose clamps and regular rubber hose

Wiring on one looked like they used common blue crimp butt splices, other seems to have mostly professional grade sealed splices.

One still had the original hard copper line from the belly tank to the selector valve the other had fittings and rubber hose added in.

These are just the things that jumped out at me, close inspection may have spotted more, not these were not all one direction with one done "right" or "better" than the other. For example the one I kept while having what looked like neater hoses and wiring, also had a new hour meter showing 0 running hours installed, the 0 hours was because someone had wired up a DC hour meter to the AC panel outlet, in contrast the other one while showing about 800 hours on the meter, did not appear to get a new meter with the Yanmar conversion as there were at least 8 layers of old paint around the bezel, so it is any ones guess which one had more actual hours since the diesel conversion.

Ike

p.s. the MEP-016E is a Yanmar L100 repowered version of the MEP-016B

Last edited:

s205designs

Thanks for the info, mine is def a MEP016D as it does have the Yanmar L70, i'll have to look at the rest of it to see details. Has 70 hrs on the meter, seems to be in good shape though. Hope to work more on it today.

I have the manuals for the MEP016A and the Yanmar L70 so I hope that should cover it.

From my searches in the board, there isn't a manual for the MEP016D config, is that correct?

Isaac-1

There is not a manual that has been released to the public, although the conversion instructions are floating around somewhere on the net for either the MEP-016D or MEP-016E I forget which on it is. I looked at it a couple of years ago out of curiosity, at the time I did not own one of the Yanmar conversions, just an Onan powered diesel MEP-701a (MEP-016b in an ASK). It was full of remove this part, and that part, replace and reroute fuel line with part X1234 and fasten to frame using clamp X4321....., very detailed step by step and completely useless for any purpose other than doing the conversion with labelled parts.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks