• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-003 tune up questions

Corvette1974

Hello,

I just got my 1983 MEP-003 from Ft. Meade. It is complete in every fashion and is a very nice unit. I'll get more into that in another thread once it is "done".

I am planning on doing some pre start tune up things to it, like the filters and a general inspection.

For the fuel filters, I just need 2 FRAM C1125PL right? Both the primary and secondary take these filters, correct? Do these come with the right gaskets needed? Also for the strainer, im not going to replace the strainer itself, but if I take it off, wont I need a new gasket for it? Where do I get this?

The oil filter is just a FRAM CH6PL, that's easy.

Air filter is also easy.

Are there any other things I should do before I start it?

One thing I noticed was that the TM say that the rocker arms need adjusting along with cleaning out the oil passage every 500 hours....Do I need to do this and if so, where can I get valve cover gaskets?

Sorry about all of the questions, but thats basically all I need before I start it.

Thanks,
Will

Corvette1974

Ok so a few more questions-

The shutters- Do they only operate when there is power/engine is on? They seem to actuate fine, but is there a way of testing them?

The Cold weather/Warm weather thing- This is the right setting for warm weather right? The TM says it is but just making sure

And what is that fuel line thing that is above the fuel filters? It is removable and has a lever and a fuel inlet and outlet, but isnt attached to anything...

Will

Attachments

steelypip

Hello,

I just got my 1983 MEP-003 from Ft. Meade. It is complete in every fashion and is a very nice unit. I'll get more into that in another thread once it is "done".

I am planning on doing some pre start tune up things to it, like the filters and a general inspection.

For the fuel filters, I just need 2 FRAM C1125PL right? Both the primary and secondary take these filters, correct? Do these come with the right gaskets needed? Also for the strainer, im not going to replace the strainer itself, but if I take it off, wont I need a new gasket for it? Where do I get this?
The gaskets are multi-use. My strainer had a perfectly good gasket on it.

The oil filter is just a FRAM CH6PL, that's easy.

Air filter is also easy.

Are there any other things I should do before I start it?
READ THE OPERATOR MANUAL. Idling the engine will kill the voltage regulator. You should probably be careful to turn the engine through by hand and verify that it is not stuck/binding (remove plug on blower grille, use 5/8" socket, turn clockwise). If you have any suspicion at all about what is in the bottom of the fuel tank, remove it and clean it out before trying to run the set. There's usually sediment, water, and rust.

You will need to prime the fuel system. This is also covered in the operator's manual. Ditto the checks for control operation and freedom of motion of the governor linkage and shutdown solenoid. Be sure to check the external wiring for rodent damage, and pop the dzuses on the control cubicle and check in there for wiring problems, stolen parts, or wasp nests.

Oh, and don't pull more than about 200 watts from the convenience outlet by the control cubicle. Your loads must be connected to the big terminals in the connection box on the left side.
One thing I noticed was that the TM say that the rocker arms need adjusting along with cleaning out the oil passage every 500 hours....Do I need to do this and if so, where can I get valve cover gaskets?
It's not a bad idea, but probably not necessary before your first run.
Sorry about all of the questions, but thats basically all I need before I start it.
We've had two new generator owners trash their generators in the last week by playing with them because they didn't bother to learn how to operate them first. Don't be the third. Also, I recommend you read everything in the wiki before you start it.

Sorry to come on kind of strong about this, but it's not a lawnmower...

Last edited:

Corvette1974

Corvette1974

The gaskets are multi-use. My strainer had a perfectly good gasket on it.

READ THE OPERATOR MANUAL. Idling the engine will kill the voltage regulator. You should probably be careful to turn the engine through by hand and verify that it is not stuck/binding (remove plug on blower grille, use 5/8" socket, turn clockwise). If you have any suspicion at all about what is in the bottom of the fuel tank, remove it and clean it out before trying to run the set. There's usually sediment, water, and rust.

You will need to prime the fuel system. This is also covered in the operator's manual. Ditto the checks for control operation and freedom of motion of the governor linkage and shutdown solenoid. Be sure to check the external wiring for rodent damage, and pop the dzuses on the control cubicle and check in there for wiring problems, stolen parts, or wasp nests.

Oh, and don't pull more than about 200 watts from the convenience outlet by the control cubicle. Your loads must be connected to the big terminals in the connection box on the left side.

It's not a bad idea, but probably not necessary before your first run.

We've had two new generator owners trash their generators in the last week by playing with them because they didn't bother to learn how to operate them first. Don't be the third. Also, I recommend you read everything in the wiki before you start it.

Sorry to come on kind of strong about this, but it's not a lawnmower...

Haha thanks for the great info! I have been reading about these for a while and have read every wiki, article and TM I can find, so I have a good grasp of the operation and limitations of the unit. I'll keep all of the things you said in mind when I start and use it.

Thanks,
Will

Isaac-1

One more thing, the 3 fuel pumps each have screw off bottoms and have filters inside, they may be mesh plastic types or the new white styrofoam looking ceramic ones. there is also a rubber gasket in the screw off lid along with a magnet. Gunk and sand may be on the gasket, so clean it up before resealing, the rubber washer style gasket is thick, so can often be flipped and reused if it leaks. For ease of ordering Amazon sells the filters, available 2 day free shipping for Amazon prime members, also free super saver shipping for non members, but this may take up to 2 weeks, often less in reality unless your in a rush.

Ike

p.s. we have numerous before you try starting threads here

Corvette1974

One more thing, the 3 fuel pumps each have screw off bottoms and have filters inside, they may be mesh plastic types or the new white styrofoam looking ceramic ones. there is also a rubber gasket in the screw off lid along with a magnet. Gunk and sand may be on the gasket, so clean it up before resealing, the rubber washer style gasket is thick, so can often be flipped and reused if it leaks. For ease of ordering Amazon sells the filters, available 2 day free shipping for Amazon prime members, also free super saver shipping for non members, but this may take up to 2 weeks, often less in reality unless your in a rush.

Ike

p.s. we have numerous before you try starting threads here

Ok thanks that just the info I was looking for.

So far I have

1: Taken all filter housings off and inspected them. They were all changed by the Military in August of 2011 and all look that. The strainer had a bunch of like sludge in it so I cleaned it to like new condition.

2: Turned the crank by hand, it's nice and free with proper compressions.

3: Cleaned Air filter.

4: Did a complete visual inspection.

5: The unit came wth new in 03/2010 Batteries and they have good electrolyte and voltage-im charging them now and we'll see if they're good, which im sure they are.

This unit seems to be very well maintained and im sure it will start right up.

I still need to do fuel pumps, tank, tighten one of the headers.

Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted

Will

Corvette1974

Ok dont make fun of me...I know I probably just brain farted and missed it, but what is the torque for the fuel filters? I know the oil filter is 13 +- 2 lbs...are they the same?

Will

amolaver

any diesel oil should be fine. check the SAE 'sunburst' for a 'CJ' rating. 'C' is the important part - compression ignition (diesel) vs 'SM' (spark ignition). 15w40 rotella t is good oil, as is chevron delo and mobil delvac (and i'm sure many others). i don't think the 10w30 is intended for diesels.

ahm

Corvette1974

any diesel oil should be fine. check the SAE 'sunburst' for a 'CJ' rating. 'C' is the important part - compression ignition (diesel) vs 'SM' (spark ignition). 15w40 rotella t is good oil, as is chevron delo and mobil delvac (and i'm sure many others). i don't think the 10w30 is intended for diesels.

ahm

Alright sounds good, I'm pretty well versed in oil stuff, just wanted to make sure these gens didnt have any special requirements.

Thanks,
Will

P.S. For the first start, as to not damage the VR, what is the approximate throttle position that it should be pulled out to be around a safe RPM? Like how many inches from the back to the back of the knob?

leedawg

P.S. For the first start, as to not damage the VR, what is the approximate throttle position that it should be pulled out to be around a safe RPM? Like how many inches from the back to the back of the knob?
I would not lose sleep over this. Just dont idle it at low RPM for to long. IF mines all the way In Ill just pull it out half way and crank it over. And adjust to 60hz I think its just bad for it to sit there for minute or more.

Isaac-1

The problem with picking an oil for these generators is their age, when they were introduced in the 1960's the military came out with their oil specifications for various operating conditions, which were mostly straight weight oils if memory serves. The problem is oils have changed in the last half century, what I can say is it seems that most people are running 15w40 in their smaller MEP generators with no problems, and that the military is also generally running 15W40 even if there is no official documentation that calls for this (I base this in part on a hand written sticker on one of my generators I bought form GL that listed filter models and oil type to use), at least not that we have seen.

Ike

Corvette1974

I would not lose sleep over this. Just dont idle it at low RPM for to long. IF mines all the way In Ill just pull it out half way and crank it over. And adjust to 60hz I think its just bad for it to sit there for minute or more.
Haha ok I wasnt sure how sensative the VR was...that works for me!

The problem with picking an oil for these generators is their age, when they were introduced in the 1960's the military came out with their oil specifications for various operating conditions, which were mostly straight weight oils if memory serves. The problem is oils have changed in the last half century, what I can say is it seems that most people are running 15w40 in their smaller MEP generators with no problems, and that the military is also generally running 15W40 even if there is no official documentation that calls for this (I base this in part on a hand written sticker on one of my generators I bought form GL that listed filter models and oil type to use), at least not that we have seen.

Ike

That makes sense, and i'm sure since modern oils are so much better, any good diesel oil would be better than it was back then.

Will

Last edited: