• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Owner with M37 question

Capt.Marion

These trucks were originally 24v. The way to determine whether or not they have been converted is to check the alternator (Pictures would help, to see whether or not it is a 24v generator, later 24v alternator, or a run-of-the-mill 12v alternator), see if it has aftermarket plug wires, and things like that.

I've gotten all of my parts from AB Linn. Great guy to deal with, great prices, all USA made parts. I would order from John Bizal at Midwest Military, but shipping from AB Linn is cheaper.

I would recommend either of them.

Good luck with your truck, and post more pictures!

EDIT: x2 I stand corrected!

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Not trying to be argumentative.. To me the distance between the back of the cab and the hub center looks further. Just a observation.. :-D
It could just be the angle of the photo and the flatbed... I attached some pictures of both wheelbases..

Attachments

M37Dodge

It looked like a longer wheel base (non-ambulance) truck to me too. That also explains why its grill was setup for a winch, if it was a M56, even though it has the non-winch bumper setup currently.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If it is ex-ambulance, MB2 or R2, the back wall of the cab would home made (well, on the last two, darn near the whole cab would be homemade). Contact maintenance truck would have a PTO and governor - telephone line maintenance would be basically plain-jane.

Best way to be sure is with a tape measure!

DD

UnimogMike

Thank you to all of you, the plate has M56 W/WM on it and the coil has 12 volts on it so it looks like it was converted to 12 volt system.
The top roof part is badly rusted up, is there any out there that can be purchased in good shape or reproduction steel roof panel.

Thank you again mIKE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks