• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New paint thread (touchup) HMMWV

CGregson

Did some searching and mainly came up with old 2011 threads so wanted to get a refresher out there.

Wanted to get some paint to match the truck to do small touchup, mostly bolts and stuff/small areas.

The old threads have the following 2 companies to go with for the more Military approach:

Milspray
Rapco

Then there's a whole other contingent that's says commercial options like:

Krylon camouflage
Rust-Oleum Camouflage Spray

Anyone have an opinion on the current "Best" option?

sermis

I like the paint from RAPCO
It seams to hold better than the Krylon

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lawdog734

The problem I've seen for touch-ups of the original paint is that the CARC is faded to such varying degrees, finding something that matches 100% all of the time isn't an easy task. The pic below is of an armored GMV door that I recently took apart. If you look through the dirt, you can see what sand colored CARC is supposed to look like but look at the hinge pins where they aren't covered by the armor, they fade to almost white. The other CARC colors aren't any better at the resistance of sun fading. With Tan CARC that isn't majorly sunfaded, I've found that the Sand Rustoleum Camo spray paint is a terrific match for touch-ups and can be found at any Wal-Mart.

20170512_175207_zpszoyl9sgp.jpg

Last edited:

CGregson

Thanks for the input on this. I'm a bit surprised there wasn't an overwhelming groundswell around Milspray given the statement on their website

"It is the authorized and approved method for touching up vehicles and equipment having a CARC paint finish MILSPRAY™ CARC touch-up products are used by the U.S. Army worldwide. They preserve and restore the IR signature reduction and chemical and biological agent resistance properties of the original CARC application. IR homing weapon systems use a vehicle or aircraft's IR signature for target identification and destruction. Using non-compliant, non-mil spec, commercially available aerosol touch-up paints creates a hot spot and substantially compromises the signature reduction properties of CARC."

But maybe that's more sales material that reality.

Lawdog734

What MILSPRAY says could be true, or it could be clever marketing claims, but notice that nowhere in the marketing claims did it say anything about color match or anything like that. The Military has a genuine need for signature reducing products, etc. but note that colors have different or varying signatures - fresh CARC isn't going to have the same signature as well worn CARC and vice-versa. With that said, what most of the guys here are looking for is a pretty vehicle while the truck enjoys a nice retirement.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
For touch up the all RAPCO sprays match, the Krylon and rust oleum Camo the sand and black is real close if not a match but the brown and green are way off also they have Khaki which matches nothing. I picked up two cans by mistake as Carl the clerk put them with the Sand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks