• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New tire option for M939 (M923A2) 1991?!

ohsmily

So, Michelin XZL tires in NOS condition are drying up. Many worn/used tires floating around. Rather than upsize to the 16.00r20 or do the 395s, would these fit a standard M923A2 wheel without modification? The dimensions look right. Is this some ballooned out ag tire or will this work? Having factory fresh tires that perform well and fit would be great.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any reason they won't fit...

Almost same outer dimensions as the stock Michelins, same rim width, on-off road service and DOT approved.
20PR L (Load index 164) is just a bit more than the 18PR XZLs : 11.000 lbs vs. 9920 lbs max. load, single

ohsmily

I don't see any reason they won't fit...

Almost same outer dimensions as the stock Michelins, same rim width, on-off road service and DOT approved.
20PR L (Load index 164) is just a bit more than the 18PR XZLs : 11.000 lbs vs. 9920 lbs max. load, single
I was thinking the same thing. But if these work, then why the doomsaying about the supply of Michelin XZLs drying up and the exodus to larger tires from a different vehicle system?

If these work, these seem to be a great option. I paid a little over $800/tire delivered for new old stock 14.00x20r Michelin XZLs a couple years ago from a .mil vehicle supply house. The tires I linked to above would be less than that should I need new tires again and they are factory fresh and have almost identical performance/dimensions per my reading.

I'm curious to hear anyone else's take on this for confirmation. I'd hate to order a set of 6 and find out they have a different bead or otherwise aren't compatible.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must be missing something. The Goodyear tires I linked to which appear to be a good option are under $700/tire. This Goodyear AT2A is almost $2,500/tire. Or is this for a set of 4? https://www.otrusa.com/shop/otr-tires/14-00r20-18pr-j-goodyear-at-2a-e-g-l3-tl-new-production/

(FYI, the cheaper tire at the original link were in stock a few days ago...out of stock now but says more coming in.)
I believe those are a European tire, primarily designed for offroad - not on road. Probably a very soft compound with horrible on-road life.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe those are a European tire, primarily designed for offroad - not on road. Probably a very soft compound with horrible on-road life.
Well, there is no such thing as a tire perfect for every application/condition.
If I wanted a tire for mainly on-road service I would not choose the XZL, for sure...

Price of these Goodyear tires is very tempting, since other distributors are asking almost twice as much for the same thing.
Before it's too late someone has to buy a set and try them out. Ideally do a comparison with the stock Michelins and hopefully report back about results, here.

Reactions: 98G

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there is no such thing as a tire perfect for every application/condition.
If I wanted a tire for mainly on-road service I would not choose the XZL, for sure...

Price of these Goodyear tires is very tempting, since other distributors are asking almost twice as much for the same thing.
Before it's too late someone has to buy a set and try them out. Ideally do a comparison with the stock Michelins and hopefully report back about results, here.
Colony Tire has them as well for around the same price.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, if I’m reading the plant code on the tire correctly, they are made in Luxembourg. Sounds like they would ship from Colony in Va Beach.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks