• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"NEW" Tires arrived today

Daves86

Got my "NEW" tires delivered today.
Tire 0909.JPGTire 0912.JPG
Not sure how comfortable I am putting an 11 year old tire on my truck. The other two are date code 1310 and 3111. Truth is I did not ask about date codes before I ordered, add said "NEW". These are still newer and in better condition than my current tires.
So they are going on.
Just want folks to make sure they ask the right questions (and make no assumptions) when buying parts for their rig, so they are not surprised by what they receive.

Reactions: 98G

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
About the newest you will get surplus is 17 or 18s they are $1200 a set. Besides newer buying from your local Goodyear or tirerack

Try to keep them protected from the sun as much as possible to promote longevity.

Most surplus folks won't date code sort tires. Its too time consuming when you have 445 in each trailer

Daves86

About the newest you will get surplus is 17 or 18s they are $1200 a set. Besides newer buying from your local Goodyear or tirerack

Try to keep them protected from the sun as much as possible to promote longevity.

Most surplus folks won't date code sort tires. Its too time consuming when you have 445 in each trailer
Thanks, That's good information to have.

Daves86

Today did not go well for installing tires.
Tire change right tool.JPGTire change wrong tool.JPG
Pics of RIGHT and WRONG tool for disassembly.
Should have had a clue when TM said torque to 125lb/ft. But that was not what stopped me for the day.
Tire change stripped stud 1.JPG
Before you start make sure you have spare studs and bolts. These 3 stripped and I had to cut them off and did not have spares, so that pretty much ended my day for tire changing.
Good thing I enjoy this Hobby, otherwise I might bet frustrated.

Thumper580

Today did not go well for installing tires.
View attachment 811917View attachment 811918
Pics of RIGHT and WRONG tool for disassembly.
Should have had a clue when TM said torque to 125lb/ft. But that was not what stopped me for the day.
View attachment 811919
Before you start make sure you have spare studs and bolts. These 3 stripped and I had to cut them off and did not have spares, so that pretty much ended my day for tire changing.
Good thing I enjoy this Hobby, otherwise I might bet frustrated.
What do you use to break the tire bead?

Daves86

I did not get the bead separated from the rim. I stopped when I realized I did not have the studs and bolts needed to finish the job. Working on making a tool that uses a bottle jack and leverage to pull the rim out of the bead. Saw some one use a motor hoist, it looked sound, but I want something smaller so it will have to be built not bought.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I did not get the bead separated from the rim. I stopped when I realized I did not have the studs and bolts needed to finish the job. Working on making a tool that uses a bottle jack and leverage to pull the rim out of the bead. Saw some one use a motor hoist, it looked sound, but I want something smaller so it will have to be built not bought.
Stanley crow bar works well along with a 4 or 6# sledge. Used them for years to break beads on all size tires

Daves86

I tend to like brute force and awkwardness, I'm just getting older and want the tools to do the work, vice me as the tool doing the work

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't count how many HMMWV tires I've broken down and built with a block of wood, a sledgehammer, my Milwaukee 1/2 inch impact and soapy water in a spray bottle. There's always a few studs that work loose from the impact. I just smack them back in from the backside and continue.

Once the rim nuts are off a few good whacks with the sledgehammer on the sidewall frees the ring from the tire. Flip it over and place the wheel on the block of wood so the tire isn't on the ground and a few whacks more and you can pull out the wheel by hand. That's how I do it but there's 101 ways to skin a cat. Good luck.

Daves86

The three studs that broke loose did not stay put when pounded back in place. I could not get a good enough grip with vise grips to hold them and get the nut off the stud. I did get 3 or four layers of paint though. Wound up cutting with a cutting wheel (what a PITA) but it got them out. MME is 2 day shipping the studs and HPG is shipping the bolts, so I will get back on this project by weeks end.
BFH and a wood block? May have to give that a try before I go making a tool. Thanks for the ideas folks!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The three studs that broke loose did not stay put when pounded back in place. I could not get a good enough grip with vise grips to hold them and get the nut off the stud. I did get 3 or four layers of paint though. Wound up cutting with a cutting wheel (what a PITA) but it got them out. MME is 2 day shipping the studs and HPG is shipping the bolts, so I will get back on this project by weeks end.
BFH and a wood block? May have to give that a try before I go making a tool. Thanks for the ideas folks!!!
Next time knock em back in and tack weld it. If you don't have a welder then use a car battery and some jumper cables with a welding rod.

Always great to keep rods around they work great using the wire inside to secure things or in place of cotter pins

Daves86

New tires installed. Centramatics as well
Tire change pre 1.JPGTire change post 1.JPG
Old tires looked pretty tread worn when sitting next to new tires, so I took some measures to see what diff if any, Answer is no difference.
Tire change pre 3.JPGTire change post 2.JPG
Raised the truck maybe 1/4 inch.
Need to check the difference on the speedo and see. Truck only wanted to do 50mph today but I did not have anything to judge it against. Will figure that out later.
Did not balance the tires, just installed them and added the centramatics and went for a drive. Seems smoother, but noisier but it was only a short run.

Thumper580

New tires installed. Centramatics as well
View attachment 812629View attachment 812631
Old tires looked pretty tread worn when sitting next to new tires, so I took some measures to see what diff if any, Answer is no difference.
View attachment 812632View attachment 812633
Raised the truck maybe 1/4 inch.
Need to check the difference on the speedo and see. Truck only wanted to do 50mph today but I did not have anything to judge it against. Will figure that out later.
Did not balance the tires, just installed them and added the centramatics and went for a drive. Seems smoother, but noisier but it was only a short run.
Do the centramatics really work well?

Daves86

Here is what I can tell from the short ride I did. Previous tire and rim combo on driverside rear has 5 oz of weight on the outer rim none inside. Passenger front had two 2.5 oz weights on the inner and two 2.5 oz weights on the outer rim. 1 Wheel with 10 oz and, 5 oz on the other, the other 2 rims no weights.
Prior to the tire change the truck was normally a smooth ride with an occasional instability at 55-60 mph (inconsistent)
New tires installed with no weights, just centramatics. Drove for about 5 miles (2 of which was at 50mph) rest was back roads <35 mph.

Truck drove fine. No wobble in the wheel, ran straight. New tires are noisy. Did not feel any instability. But it was a 5 mile drive, so is it good tires or the centramatics?

I will drive the truck more tomorrow and get a better feel.

Daves86

Someone just pointed out that the real test should be using the new tires and comparing the ride with and without the centramatics. Let me see if I can make that happen this week. Comparing the old tires with weights and the new tires with centramatics really isn't a fair shake.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the centramatics really work well?
I've used both Centramatics and Balance Masters for years on my CUCVs with HMMWV wheels & tires. They work for me. My local tire shop couldn't balance the tires. Once I installed the balancers I got a smooth ride. I haven't tried traditional balancing since then (2013).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks