• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me MEP005 - getting started questions

nofear

Hi guys, I finally had my EUC approved and went and picked up my MEP 005. I have some questions as I get ready to get started. I can't tell, but I think I may be missing some parts. I took some pictures of them and curious as to your thoughts

Part-1 and Part-2 pic's show a red piece and above it a hose clamp that look like they used to have something attached to them.

Part-3 is for the "governor" or throttle that looks like it should have something attached.

Whats your thoughts?

Also on getting started. I have scoured around and I have dl'd 2 manual's but I'm not sure they are the proper manuals that I need. My NSN is 6115-01-234-6545 aka MEP-005AAS The manuals I have are TM5-6115-465-12 and TM9-6115-465-24P Are there any others?

Last part of my questions is getting this ol girl ready to fire up for testing. I won't be doing a load for a little while. But I figured oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, check of diesel fuel etc.. are all required. What type of oil do you recommend? Oil filter/ fuel filter ? Is there anything else I should do before starting?

Thanks

Attachments

zb39

pic 1 and 2 are for the ether start system. A can of it screws in there, you don't need it. Not sure on pic 3 , but is it your throttle cable. it is below the control panel on the side/front. I think it is a red knob like a choke cable.....??

wileco

In picture 3 the throttle cable should be connected on the side away from the camera next to the engine. I suspect that what you are looking at is the manual fuel shut off lever which closes the fuel metering valve manually. Nothing connects to this lever. This lever must be open to start (turned counterclockwise ). I have returned several of these units to service, if they have set too long, the metering valve will usually be stuck closed, preventing fuel flow. To unstick the valve, take the top off the pump and gently wiggle the metering valve lever to the right towards the part of the manual shut off lever that contacts the lever when manual shut off is closed.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MEP-005-AAS is the 005 with Accoustic Suppression Kit

I have 5 manual in PDF format. I can email them to you. Send me a PM with your email address.

TM 5-6115-465-12 (operator manual)
TM 5-6115-465-34 (technical manual)
TM 9-6115-465-24P (parts manual)
TM 5-6115-626-14&P (covers the trailer)
TM 5-6115-627-14&P (covers the trailer)

Picture 3 is the fuel cut off. Mine is wired in place counter-clockwise.

When I picked mine up it had no filters. I was able to make some Wix filters work. I will post the numbers tonight.

One thing to watch for is if the unit has been sitting for a while the Injector pump MAY have a bunch of junk in it. I had to have mine rebuilt for $500.

Not being in the military I had never seen one of these units up close. With the manuals, some trobleshooting and some $$$ she runs like a champ.

Is your unit a 60 or 400 Hz unit? It looks to be a utility unit and not a precsion unit.

Warthog

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the filters I ended up using:

Oil filter - wix 51004 - Napa 1004

Primary fuel : Wix 33511 - Napa 3511 - one required
Secondary fuel: Wix 33512 - Napa 3512 - two required
(these are the same as the Deuce)

nofear

Thanks for the part numbers. Looks like I know what I will be doing over the memorial day weekend.

Yes it's utility. I've fired it up several times, and she seems to run just fine. I put a small 1kw load and that seemed to work.

Besides the oil, oil filter and fuel filters any other PM I should do?

I will either do a salt box load bank, or rent one and do a load test and remove the wet stack build up at some point before connecting it up.

And if I remember correctly, there isn't a way to make these work with a ATS, without replacing the military panel, correct? If so do you guys just start these up manually as needed?

I do have to say I'm very pleased with the AAS. I opened the panels and couldn't imagine having a plain 005 running with as loud as they are.

Last part, what about removing it from the M200? That trailer is a lot more than I anticipated it. I am contemplating removing the genset off of the trailer.

Thanks for the advice.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to check the anti-freeze. It could probably use a flush and refill. My radiator had a buildup of scale.

No experience on the conversion. I am still learning.

If I remember there is a hook on top of the unit. It is heavy. If you don't need the trailer there are SteelSoldiers that will take it off your hands.

Warthog

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks