• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to MV's in general...

shawn77901

Hey guys Im new to the site and new to MV's in general. I really want to get some sort of MV thats good for off road. I would like to get an M35, but the more I look at these pinzgauers the more I like them!!

My question is this: Is the pinzie a good place to start? If so, what is a good price for one (in decent condition)?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinz, $10000 and up, M35A2, you can buy 3 or more for the same price.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a first MV i'd go with a M38A1. Small, easy to work on, good off road, under 3K. There's prolly about a dozen good choices for a first MV depends mostly on what you want/prefer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Run....run while you can........it's an affliction....an addiction........ You can't just stop with one...they will take over your life.......arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh.....i can stop anytime i want to............somebody saaaaaave me from myself!!!!!

LanceRobson

Hello, my name is Lance and, I'm an addict.......

Hey Shawn, it's good to be able to enable budding addict!

What, exactly, do you want to do "off road"? Just drive around? Get the family to a weekend at a new fishing hole? Tote 5 or 6 face cord of wood back to the homestead?

What's your wrench turning experience and what's you pain threshold for major repairs? Are you going to be close to paved roads or 17 miles into a wilderness area?

There's lots of possibilities in "good" MVs but, throw an old dog a bone and let us know what you expect to do with it!

Yours in craziness...

Lance

shawn77901

Hey thanks a bunch for all your input.

Lance- off road I want to be able to go anywhere I want. From sandy riverbed/beach to mountainous terrain or snow. It will mostly be recreation so i will not need to haul alot, but I would like to be able to. A winch like on the M35's would be a big plus! As far as wrench turning, I could do the majority of repairs myself, I used to do them on my old 3/4 ton dodge cummins. I live close to paved roads. only really could come up with a couple thousand unless someone wants alot of good computer equipment for one!

LanceRobson

All-righty then. I'd guess that "off road" means you'd be on unimproved roads and fairly well established trails? Blazing trails and path-finding are best done with experienced folks and more than one vehicle.

The price range rules out a pinz. For modern MVs, it puts you into CUCV or deuce country.

None of the CUCVs are particularly good in the snow or sand (chains are a big plus) but if handled carefully and properly set up they'll do pretty well. What they generally won't do is break a trail cross country or go well in deep mud.

M35A2s can be bought at a low price and if height, width, turning radius, weight etc are taken into account, they'll fit the bill. Being higher and wider that most off road vehicles you may have clearance issues. Don't forget that even if the trail floor is wide enough, a tree leaning over the trail can stop you as surely as a BFR in the middle of the trail.

An M35A2 or similar will go places that'd raise the hair on the back of your neck but even with the tire pressure lowered they have issues with some sand. Sand with sharp edges seems to hold up and bear weight better than rounded wind blown sand which is like driving on ball bearings.

You'd have to pick your path carefully because not many other off road vehicles are going to be of much help with a heavily mired or pinned deuce. Tire chains help a lot in most reduced traction conditions for snow and sand.

You'll have some maintenance to do ASAP after getting the axles in water.

A winch, if maintained, is a definite plus. It usually adds about $1,000 to the price of a truck. To really get the benefit from it ,you'll need a sling chain or two, a snatch block (preferably two) a couple pair of heavy gloves (welding gloves work well) and some cautious practice BEFORE you go out.

I usually keep the shear pin safety wired to the PTO driveshaft so no one can blow up the winch doing dumb things and keep several more pins in the glove box with a punch to drive out broken pins. That 200 foot cable sure seems long when you have it unspooled to clean and lube it but can seem awfully short out in the boonies.

My experience is that 11.00R20 XLs make a "night and day" difference but, again, price would be an issue. They can be found at reasonable prices with some scrounging. though, so you could buy a truck and put them on the wish list. Until I find a better tire for the money, I'll always have at least one truck with them.

You'll need to go into this with the understanding that the maintenance, particularly for off road use, must be preventative, not reactive. You need to address things like torque rod bushings, front axle boots and brakes before getting much further than a winch cable away from good roads or trails.

Also, a proper self recovery kit and tool set is a must. Look in the RESOURCES section for FM 21-22 and review it.

I suggest you hook up with any experienced MVer you can find and spend as much time with MVs s you can while filling the piggy bank and making a decision on where to invest you hard earned money.

Good luck and welcome to the clan.

Lance

shawn77901

Wow thanks for all of that info, Lance. You really brought alot of things to my attention that I had not thought about before! Im thinking a deuce would be great for now until I can afford a pinz. Man after watching that vid of the pinz with the hummers, they are really impressive. :D

Russ

Follow me...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl_Qc8BdCwE[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eih0q1orpT4[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFBv-ZPQrk[/media][media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nJkwR_j1C4[/media]

Pinz25086

Well, I own both and can say that they both have VERY different purposes. The tan Pinz in the above videos belongs to me. If you want something that will go just about anywhere, buy the Pinz. The M35 is a great deal. Parts are some what inexpensive and are available everywhere. Pinz parts are much more expensive and there are fewer places to get them.

I like both of them but you need to define what you really expect them to do. The M35 is huge compared to a Pinz. Down here in FL we have narrow trails with lots of water. The deuce has a hard time getting into most of the areas that I go wheeling in. The Pinz will go through just about anything but the Deuce will haul just about anything. In short, you must have a serious discussion with yourself about what you want to do with it and them go get one. But be warned, you will get addicted to the whole MV thing, and you will end up with a yard full of trucks before you know it!

Wayne

dc3coyote

Russ when are we going back out? I will be picking up a 404mog in a few weeks, so now I have two trucks to abuse. Its been way too long since I have heard anything from the local Pinz crowd about going anywhere or doing anything.
Branan

Russ

Russ when are we going back out? I will be picking up a 404mog in a few weeks, so now I have two trucks to abuse. Its been way too long since I have heard anything from the local Pinz crowd about going anywhere or doing anything.
Branan
Congrats on the 404. Get a snorkel before you take it into deep water! We were talking about going out just the other day, haven't set any dates. I will definitely let you know when we get together again.

I had been looking for my stimulus but finally lost it yesterday. :cry:

bubba_got_you

Branan
hey now that i have the m37 fixed ill go. i know i don't have a penz but ill go wheeling just call.

now as for the new mv person, for the price range i would say the m35a2 is what you are looking for. i think the m37 is one of the best off road mv's because it will go anywhere it can haull and it small (by comparason to the m35) but unless you like to fix alot of shi* befor you can use it. i would say go with the m35 good luck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks