• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to SS

Cancer cutter

Good day to all.
New to SS, and am looking for data to help direct the purchase of my first MV.
I drove while in service, and had a great time burning up miles in the Humm wagons, but am interested in a deuce or 5 ton.

Would someone please direct me to some useful threads re:
1) Differences between 35a2 and 35a3 and their maint, likelihood of significant breakdown etc.
2) Why should I buy a deuce vs 5 ton, or vice versa?
3) Will 5 ton trucks handle the same terrain as the deuce?

Any other good data/technical stuff would be greatly appreciated.

I am certainly a mechanical individual and know my way around a tool box, but am a medical guy and don't wrench on vehicles for a living.
Let me know what you think

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

I'm not good at mining the site for links, maybe someone else can help.

I love deuces but my new toy is a M927 5 ton cargo (extended bed).

The 5 tons are being dumped on the market like the deuces were a few years ago. They are getting to be cheap to buy.

The 900 series 5 tons are more reliable (since they are newer) but have their own challenges. They
are bigger, cost more to operate (no multi-fuel capability) and in some states require a Commercial Drivers License to operate legally.

Insurance my be an issue in some areas......I have farm tags and insurance on my truck.

Everything is heavier and the tires on the trucks with super singles weigh close to 500 pounds.

If you have bad knees like I do the automatic is great.

They have good heaters and better wipers than the deuces and ride better. The insulation in the cab is better and I can drive mine without hearing protection.

A five ton will go just about anywhere a deuce will go but is wider....the trucks with super singles will go through deeper mud than a standard 5 ton or deuce but if you get it stuck you better have a big reccovery vehicle available.

Hope this helps some.

onegmjack

Welcome to the group.Well different folks have different opinions about which truck is better.All boils down to what you like and your plans for the MV.

M715VFD405

Welcome from Weatherford OK. Not sure what I can add to the info your looking for. The biggest question you need to ask first is what you intend to do with the truck. Having a goal in mind will help us and you figure out what best applies. Just know that once your bitten by the OD bug there is no known cure for the disease. :driver: Good luck in your search.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Ohio. First thing to do is learn (play with) the search function. Type in various terms you are looking for and then try searching for search help and try using Google to search SS.

You are going to remember more of how to do it than if someone does it all for you.

I have an M35A2 and an M813 and like both for different reasons.

Cancer cutter

Men,
Thanks for the input. I can already see that more data on my part will bring in more specific info from you experienced fellers.

I have two boys. Their 2nd grade and down. When I was a kid, my dad had a ford truck we played on, and our only rule was, " Don't break the glass. " We went camping, fishing and all kinds of working in it. I would like to have something a little more robust than the pick-up. I love off-road stuff, but more of the slow rolling kind.

I want to build a legacy with my boys. My wife probably wont ride in it with us unless the planets align.
I want to teach them to do maintenance and responsibility.

Ive considered putting a snow plow on the front to make some spare money and also pay for the truck over time.

Ive never driven a five ton, and don't really have a perspective re: its size.

Thanks guys, any info is good info.

The M35A3's (deuce and a half) also have many of the creature comforts that wreckerman listed above for the 900 series (5 ton). Since the A3's were are product of the 1990's they are also fairly reliable. They also have dual circuit brakes which would be good considering you plan on having your kids in there quite a bit. You also don't have to have a special license to operate one. The biggest drawback to an A3 is that it has a top speed of 50mph. I love mine though. I hope to own a 5 ton one day as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks