• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the Generator Club three MEP-804a to get going and troubleshoot

Jeep Nasty

I picked up 3. Mep-804a generators for our camp, my buddies farm and my wife’s business.

As someone who is generally terrified of going in my electrical panel troubleshooting these is definitely intimidating.
I’ve got all the TMs download it and been going through then and a bunch of old threads that I could find.

A fellow member on here has already been giving me a lot of help via email and I am very appreciative.

I had to order 2 fuel water separator’s because the bowls were missing on two of the generators and I ordered a bunch of filters. I had a broken master switch on one and had to order a replacement for that as well. I also have three fuse upgrade kits coming to protect the A1 circuits. One of the generators had all the fluids drained out of it and put up for storage I will need to top that off and I need to find the components to install the fuel drain valve as it is completely missing and there is just the hole in the side of the tank where it should be.

So far I’ve only been able to attempt to start one of them until the other parts come in. I did get it up and running for the engine. I am showing only 25 V or so for voltage and it won’t really go above 49 Hz. I think I need to check the exciter circuit and then make sure that my voltage regulator isn’t cooked.

I think I also have a bad oil pressure gauge or sending unit since I can’t get it to move at all.

I never realized how many wires are inside of these things. But I’m sure it’ll be a new adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok partner. Welcome to the power generation zoo. First thing I would ask you to do is work on only ONE set at a time. Going back and forth is only wasting time and money.

Second thing would be to start a thread for just ONE gen set. Do not try and do all three gen sets on one thread. Its just too hard to keep track of what is what. Pick just one, maybe the one you think is in the best condition, and start there.

Take lots of pictures, of EVERYTHING. Post them. Sometimes we can see things that you can not. Do read the operators TM. Lots of info there.

Now, lets roll!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks