• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to the world of the Deuce

Flea

Hi all!

Long-time (read 1 year) reader, and just recently decided to join. I'm currently in the process of searching for that special deuce that just appeals to me.

In my searching, I've come to find that a deuce may seem *ahem* underpowered at times. Being a torque nut (looking at modifications for my jeep to bump it to around 400 ft-lbs), I'd no doubt be wrenching away within 24 hours of my purchase.

Common mods that I have researched so far (correct me if I'm wrong) consist of:
Turning the fuel up by increments of "flats" (1/6 turn) of the fuel delivery nut.
Larger (11.00R20) tires for increased ground speed
Lockout hubs to reduce driveline drag/wear
Super-Singles conversions.

My question is this: has anyone ventured beyond the common mods to gain more power out of the multifuel? At 478 CI and turbo to boot, I would think that more than ~200 hp and ~450 torque could be had... Anyone running an intercooler and more efficient turbo yet? Also, how far can the stock injectors go before the engine begins to run out of fuel? I'm not ignorant to the ways of motor vehicles, and I've worked on plenty of boosted gassers before (cars, mind you).

My thoughts are:
New turbo (something relatively inexpensive) with manual boost control
Larger exhaust pipe diameter for increased flow/reduced backpressure (and EGT's)
Intercooler to pile on some more boost

I love the deuce and I can't wait to get my hands on one! I want to do a full restoration, add a few creature comforts, then hitch up to a travel trailer and escape daily life!

-Craig

CUMMINS

I also tried to get more power from the Multifuel,the stock injectors flow plenty, If you max out the injector pump adjustment the EGTs will easly race faster than the rpm and that is with the bigger D model turbo, I thought adding timming would lower EGTs and it did but it also raised combustion chamber pressure and with a 22.5 to 1 compression ratio you are very limited on boost and timing, I tried and blew the head gasket with turned up fuel and 5 degrees of added timing in no time, although I did have the old style gasket, the multi fuel just wasn't made to make high horsepower, if you had custom pistons with about 17 to 1 comp. ratio then it could probly be a monster.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I think the general consensus is it would take alot of internal mods to do much more than "turning up the pump".

Flea

Hey thanks for the tips!

I'm not looking to make 500 hp or anything like that, but I'd like to think that one could make a reliable 250 hp with around 500 lb-ft torque. My end goal is to have a deuce suitable for OTR use, capable of towing a reasonable-sized (33-38 ft) travel trailer for the family, and still be able to go most anywhere off the beaten path.

I do not want to drop $45K on a 1-ton dually with its expensive insurance, costly repairs, vanilla looks and zero personality. Also, I don't like the idea of thrashing something that expensive... one look at the repair bill on my old F-150 (98) after I was hit confirms that most new vehicles are hideously expensive when repairing minor sheet metal damage.

This site is really a great resource!

-Craig

jwaller

Flea said:
Hey thanks for the tips!

I'm not looking to make 500 hp or anything like that, but I'd like to think that one could make a reliable 250 hp with around 500 lb-ft torque. My end goal is to have a deuce suitable for OTR use, capable of towing a reasonable-sized (33-38 ft) travel trailer for the family, and still be able to go most anywhere off the beaten path.

I do not want to drop $45K on a 1-ton dually with its expensive insurance, costly repairs, vanilla looks and zero personality. Also, I don't like the idea of thrashing something that expensive... one look at the repair bill on my old F-150 (98) after I was hit confirms that most new vehicles are hideously expensive when repairing minor sheet metal damage.

This site is really a great resource!

-Craig
I have just finished building a new hybrid turbo for our trucks(stock looking turbo with 60-1 compressor wheel). should gain about 50hp over stock.

problems with our setup are that we have no wastegate so a boost controller has nothing to hook to. the way to get more boost is to turn up the fuel but that runs against a wall pretty soon. eahaust diameter is already a good size and without muffler there is little restriction. I will be bolting on this new T60-1 hybrid this weekend and doing some testing to see what kind of times were gained.

intercooler does no good with this motor as the intake is heated by coolant from the motor. any reduction of IAT's are offset by this. also an IC would add lag and we dont get full boost now until over 2000rpm's... my new turbo should be better than this as the cartridge is much lighter and far more efficient.

also note going to bigger 11x20 tires will slow you down. it's a loss of torque and will offset the turning up of the fuel. this is exactly what I did with mine. but you do gain ~5mph on the highway.

disco

There is a thread about an Oliver pulling tractor making around 500 hp. Granted, he isn't cruising down the highway blowing and going but I would imagine you could dial back the boost and get some reliable power from the engine.

Don't know how to quote so here is a copy and paste. JP is the user name:

I do not own a deuce but I have an Oliver pulling tractor that uses a D4800 Hercules engine that is real similar to an ldt-465 except it has the manifolds reversed so that the turbo is on top and the intake manifold is on the bottom.

I rev the engine to about 4,000 rpm at the line and it pulls at about 3,500 rpm. It is putting out about 500 hp. I am actually running an ld-465 motor but is has tractor manifolds and a roosamaster injection pump. The camshaft has been reground and it has bigger injector nozzles, bigger injection lines and the heads have been ported. The pistons are original but the bowl has been modified and is now much bigger.

Now I don't think my engine would hold up running 4,000 rpms all day long. I use water injection to keep the tops of the pistons cool during a pull. I don't think I would want to buy fuel for this thing to run all day long either. It uses 2 gal to make 1 pull and that is less than 300 feet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks