• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new toys are home

First purchases are home safe and sound... and so the collection begins...

Thank you to all the members that helped this newbie along the way. Ray, you saved my bacon with the driving tips you provided... thank you, again.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring it to the GA Rally.....you can follow that Kenny guy up......but watch out.....he ain't right.:cookoo:
Hey, I resemble that remark. I have to admit, Barnum and Bailey is no match for the circus clowns that invade Durhamtown Plantation in mid October.

Loxman, congrats on getting your stuff home. If you bought from Ray, you did OK! Hey, that rhymes.

Thanks guys... somebody should have warned me... these things multiply almost as fast as my rabbits... a few months ago I thought... I'd really like to have a deuce and a half to play around with and maybe get outta Dodge from time to time... by this time tomorrow I'll have two and a trailer... I have no will power... at least it's probably a better investment than my crappy 401k at the moment :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys... somebody should have warned me... these things multiply almost as fast as my rabbits... a few months ago I thought... I'd really like to have a deuce and a half to play around with and maybe get outta Dodge from time to time... by this time tomorrow I'll have two and a trailer... I have no will power... at least it's probably a better investment than my crappy 401k at the moment :)
Well, until you find a towbar you can call your own, I'm sure I can find one to borrow if the need exists. Just have to listen to the owners banter about safety and broken towbars before he will let you take it.

RAYZER

Someone tried to warn me..but i was not listening!
Not only do these things multiply,they kongregate! So watch out for that.

I've been reading about upgrading a sprag to an air-shift. It seems pretty straightforward so far, just swap the sprag t-case with and air-shift t-case and run the requisite air lines, etc... Is it really that simple? (except that it probably weighs 500lbs)

Has anyone here in sunny FL ever actually taken part in such a 'science-experiment'? Any thoughts from the guys that have been around a while?

Thanks recovery... I hope not to need one too soon, but I would like to get one eventually... I'm talking to a member in GA that has one for sale... just working on transportation.

Rayzor, you were probably listening, but the drone of that engine is hard to resist...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can wait until Oct, the express can get the towbar delivered for free. The sellers are good folks and would probably store it. The TC swap is really that easy.

Before I left the sellers yard with the 2nd deuce, I noticed the oil was prob about 1-2 qts over-full. When I went out to drain the air tanks a little bit ago, I noticed something has spattered all down the underside of the truck. The under side of the fuel tank and spare tire, the middle and last axles and pumpkins. I'm going to check it out tomorrow at lunch to try to figure out of it's oil, fuel, coolant, or what.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I didn't push it very hard on the way home. Its a couple hundred miles and I never really went past 2300rpm. I kept a close eye on the temp and oil pressure. I did notice the oil pressure dropped off a bit as I was driving. Started out about 30psi or so and hit around 25psi by the time I got home. It's parked on a bit of a slope so I didn't check the oil yet.

I have a hunch it's oil because it was over-full to begin with and it looked **** near new on the dip-stick...

I did learn one important lesson tonight... when you drain those air tanks, keep you fingers away from where the air is rushing out... water and debris under pressure stings a bit. :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did learn one important lesson tonight... when you drain those air tanks, keep you fingers away from where the air is rushing out... water and debris under pressure stings a bit. :)

Do yourself a favor adn replace those petcocks with a couple of remote cable operated drain valves. The cable can be routed to a nice location at the side of the truck so you don't need to crawl under it, and it keeps the fingers in a safe location.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks