• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new trailer

jamescripps

I bought a 1061A1 flat bed trailer. Got it through Iron Planet and picked it up in Indiana and braught it back to Tennessee. I am about 40 miles N/W of Nashville in Ashland City.

I fabricated a hitch to pull the trailer home behind my F250 HD. It is a 1989 model 4x4 Diesel. I bought it new and it has yet to turn 75,000 miles.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 1061A1 flat bed trailer. Got it through Iron Planet and picked it up in Indiana and braught it back to Tennessee. I am about 40 miles N/W of Nashville in Ashland City. I fabricated a hitch to pull the trailer home behind my F250 HD. It is a 1989 model 4x4 Diesel. I bought it new and it has yet to turn 75,000 miles.
An M1061A1 trailer is way to heavy to be pulled by an F-250. Empty, they weight about 5850 Lbs. and pulling with your pickup, you have no trailer brakes. They were designed to be pulled by a 5-ton truck or an M-113 track. I have one of these trailers and when pulling it with one of my M35s, they get pushed around by the trailer, even when unladen.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If it was the 7.3 idi diesel id had no issue. They can stop them just fine. The trailer isnt that heavy. As long as your safe. I pull my MEP005 behind my F250 all the time.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was the 7.3 idi diesel id had no issue. They can stop them just fine. The trailer isnt that heavy. As long as your safe. I pull my MEP005 behind my F250 all the time.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
No brakes isn't safe or legal in most states on a trailer that size .

Specifications. Model, Flatbed Trailer (M1061). NSN Number, NSN 2330-01-207-3533. GVWR, 15,850 Lbs. Curb Weight, 5,850 Lbs. Tires, 12x16.5 LT Tubeless.

http://www.towshop.com/trailer_supplemental_braking_laws.htm

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got a pretty nice trailer from that sale. I watched those trailers auctions as I had bids on 2 of them. Both of them went way too high for me though. Glad to hear you got it home safe.

tobyS

Are you using the trailer with the 5 ton in your photo or expecting to use it with your pickup?

Last edited:

jamescripps

I will pull the trailer with the 5 ton. I just rigged the F-250 to make the trip to Indiana to get the new trailer. My F-250 did not struggle with the trailer at all in the 350 mile trip back. Sixty MPH seemed to be the towing sweet spot. The truck a 1989 model that I bought new is the 7.3 extended cab HD model and has less than 75,000 miles on it. Very heavy truck. Over sized brakes on the truck stopped the trailer reasonably well.

kblazer, it is a nice trailer and it did cost me a premium. 42 bidders on that trailer. The one on the left of it went for $700 less but I bought the trailer to keep and had seen it previously when I went after the 939. You probably saw it too.There were several that auctioned on Dec 7th but mine auctioned by itself on Dec 14. I paid a premium for it too, but I was waiting for that particular truck to come up for auction. The only concern was 10 lbs oil pressure on the inspection report. I took a chance on it and indeed It has a bad fuel gage and a bad oil pressure gage. I suspect a dash ground problem but it is just too cold to deal with it right now. I did see on the auction bid result that someone from Indiana wanted that trailer pretty bad. Sorry, I just had to have it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I will pull the trailer with the 5 ton. I just rigged the F-250 to make the trip to Indiana to get the new trailer. My F-250 did not struggle with the trailer at all in the 350 mile trip back. Sixty MPH seemed to be the towing sweet spot. The truck a 1989 model that I bought new is the 7.3 extended cab HD model and has less than 75,000 miles on it. Very heavy truck. Over sized brakes on the truck stopped the trailer reasonably well.

kblazer, it is a nice trailer and it did cost me a premium. 42 bidders on that trailer. The one on the left of it went for $700 less but I bought the trailer to keep and had seen it previously when I went after the 939. You probably saw it too.There were several that auctioned on Dec 7th but mine auctioned by itself on Dec 14. I paid a premium for it too, but I was waiting for that particular truck to come up for auction. The only concern was 10 lbs oil pressure on the inspection report. I took a chance on it and indeed It has a bad fuel gage and a bad oil pressure gage. I suspect a dash ground problem but it is just too cold to deal with it right now. I did see on the auction bid result that someone from Indiana wanted that trailer pretty bad. Sorry, I just had to have it.
Pulling the trailer with the 250 is not the problem, STOPPING the trailer with the 250 IS, in a HAVE TO STOP NOW in a moment of OH CHIT it WILL NOT happen, doing something like this is how people get hurt/killed, think of it this way, your wife/kids get whacked by a pickup pulling a way TO HEAVY trailer with NO BRAKES, this would not make you a happy camper, so why would you put someone else in that position, also if something did happen, you will have to live with yourself for ever knowing what you did, 20/20 hindsight will only get you saying "if I only, ect." IT IS NOT WORTH IT not doing something right/safe

jamescripps

The deed is done and the trailer sits safely in my driveway. Would I feel safe in doing it again? Yes, as there is also a certain amount of risk involved in taking a thirty year old 5 ton on a 700 mile trip to drag the trailer back.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You lucked out getting home in one piece.
Everyone's correct. Truck can pull it no sweat.
Stopping is the issue.

Your comment of "reasonably well" tells a lot.

If something had happened.....the lawyers would have had a field day.
Just because you could do it, doesn't mean you should have.
Especially with a 5 ton sitting in the driveway. Why didn't you use it to recover the trailer?

Its a nice trailer.
Still not worth losing your house for.
Or worse.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recovered a M988A1 trailer and the trip was 900 miles.
Completed 5 trips now of almost 1000 miles each in mine.

Maintained properly, The trucks can handle it. No sweat

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter

No need to apologize. That was someone else bidding. I had dropped out way south of the final bids on both of those trailers. I'll get one eventually.

tobyS

I'll mention 2 things with these trailers. I watched for one that had c-channels on the side because to add sides by putting on a pocket (on the ones with a boxed outer tube), they are then over the legal width. With c-channels, a pocket can be put into the channels and they are just under the legal width. The second is the short tongue. I've thought of making an extendable that uses a 5x5x1/2" and a heavy wall 4x4 to make one that can be extended out and pinned. Also thought about a hinged tongue, so the bed could tilt to the axle stops for easier loading.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check out xm1073 7-1/2 ton big brother. It has a dual pintle set up. Bottom slides out for a tracked vehicle. Might be what you are looking for.

NEIOWA

check out xm1073 7-1/2 ton big brother. It has a dual pintle set up. Bottom slides out for a tracked vehicle. Might be what you are looking for.
And the extendable hitch is about 6" lower than on the other versions of the trailer. Have pulled our FD XM1071 all over with a C2500 4dr (Diesel). With a load, no problems. Using it tomorrow.

gottaluvit

Pulling the trailer with the 250 is not the problem, STOPPING the trailer with the 250 IS, in a HAVE TO STOP NOW in a moment of OH CHIT it WILL NOT happen, doing something like this is how people get hurt/killed, think of it this way, your wife/kids get whacked by a pickup pulling a way TO HEAVY trailer with NO BRAKES, this would not make you a happy camper, so why would you put someone else in that position, also if something did happen, you will have to live with yourself for ever knowing what you did, 20/20 hindsight will only get you saying "if I only, ect." IT IS NOT WORTH IT not doing something right/safe
Not only that, even pulling one empty with a 5-ton is tricky (if you like your tires), especially if you are spoiled with the truck's ABS. It was all I could do to not make the brakes lock on the trailer pulling with mine. Looked behind me to a smoke cloud a few times. Had the same issue with the M105s as well, but I like the fact I can haul stuff under cover on them, so I deal with it. Had the M1061 trailer been equipped with ABS (or ramps) I would still own one. It was unused since a rebuild and had near perfect paint, but I traded it for an ABS equipped M1082. Empty or loaded, that paired with the 5-ton drives and brakes like my V-dubb.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks