• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New turn signal issue tonight

Riden8ked

Good evening gents,

I took my 86 m1009 out today and she was going great. Went to see family, got in at dark 30 flipped on my headlights, came on fine, went to turn left hit my signals....nothing. flipped my right signal...nothing. turned my headlights off. Signals worked, turned on my parking lights...signals worked. Put on my headlights...nothing. i dont get it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening gents,

I took my 86 m1009 out today and she was going great. Went to see family, got in at dark 30 flipped on my headlights, came on fine, went to turn left hit my signals....nothing. flipped my right signal...nothing. turned my headlights off. Signals worked, turned on my parking lights...signals worked. Put on my headlights...nothing. i dont get it.
Make sure none of your bulbs are burned out in any of your lamps, turn signals, side light lenses, tail lights, instrument panel lights, etc... A burned-out bulb can affect the system downstream. Check all grounds and possible loose connections.

Riden8ked

Thank you gents for the help. When I get home from work today I attempted to Tinker on the m1009. Decided put the Blazer in my carport before the rain well my battery was completely dead. I took out my ohms meter tested each battery it's a 12 volt 2 battery system voltage read 11.8 in each battery. I place my charger on the batteries was able to get them up to 12.3 could barely get the glow plugs to cycle and while attempting to start I would get one. Really slow Revolution off the motor before it was dead again. I'm thinking I have a slow drain somewhere which has never been an issue the only new thing I did was remove a speaker from each door as there's no radio in the truck. Now I'm currently stuck out in the rain with the battery charger attempting to get the batteries up to high enough voltage to turn the motor over.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you gents for the help. When I get home from work today I attempted to Tinker on the m1009. Decided put the Blazer in my carport before the rain well my battery was completely dead. I took out my ohms meter tested each battery it's a 12 volt 2 battery system voltage read 11.8 in each battery. I place my charger on the batteries was able to get them up to 12.3 could barely get the glow plugs to cycle and while attempting to start I would get one. Really slow Revolution off the motor before it was dead again. I'm thinking I have a slow drain somewhere which has never been an issue the only new thing I did was remove a speaker from each door as there's no radio in the truck. Now I'm currently stuck out in the rain with the battery charger attempting to get the batteries up to high enough voltage to turn the motor over.
12.3 is still a dead battery. It should be 12.7 and higher. If 12.3 is as high as they charge, then it's time to visit your battery store.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bad socket or bulb is corroded up...I always start these by pulling bulbs...I'd start with a headlight and see if the turns start working, I'd bet something is backfeeding the system, possibly the turn signals are very dim and you can't see them glow and the relay won't click because of it...if they work independently of each other then it's doubtful it's something else. Oh and charge the heck out of the batteries...the relay will stick on or burn up if not...I've lost 2 relays so far since mine have been sitting and I don't let them run long enough to keep up or charge them...I have trickle chargers on them now.

Riden8ked

Stupid question, would leaving your service light switch on overnight kill your battery? Not the head lights themselves but the switch you activate for your service lights to work. If not then i have a draw coming from somewhere.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stupid question, would leaving your service light switch on overnight kill your battery? Not the head lights themselves but the switch you activate for your service lights to work. If not then i have a draw coming from somewhere.
Take your batteries in and have them load tested to make sure you have good batteries. Why do you think you have a draw on your batteries?

ssdvc

It shouldn't. It just kills all the lights when needed (including brake lights). In the regular position, all lights work normally, turned on and off by the headlight switch, activated by the brake pedal, etc. Where in CT are you?

Riden8ked

Take your batteries in and have them load tested to make sure you have good batteries. Why do you think you have a draw on your batteries?

Im thinking of doing that. They are fairly new being 2019 autocraft golds with a 3 year warranty. The only reason i think there's a draw is because it fired up fine the night before and the only thing i noticed when the truck was wouldnt turn over was the service switch to be in the one position.

Riden8ked

It shouldn't. It just kills all the lights when needed (including brake lights). In the regular position, all lights work normally, turned on and off by the headlight switch, activated by the brake pedal, etc. Where in CT are you?
Ive been working out gremlins since i bought the truck, fixing bad/hacked wired connections. Need to replace the pass inner wheel well l. Then im cleaning up the main positive cables. Still needs alot of work.

Im in Norwich, you? I want to get it as original as possible and find a m105 trailer to make into a small camper.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive been working out gremlins since i bought the truck, fixing bad/hacked wired connections. Need to replace the pass inner wheel well l. Then im cleaning up the main positive cables. Still needs alot of work.

Im in Norwich, you? I want to get it as original as possible and find a m105 trailer to make into a small camper.
What are you going to use for brakes with a M105 , they are air over hydraulic ?

Riden8ked

I still need to find a surplus trailer, some people on this form have swapped the rear axle out, or have coverted the tongue with a hydraulic actuator. Ill cross that bridge when i get there. Probably will get into more than i can chew but have to learn somehow.

Riden8ked

May be an image of outdoors and tree

How about an M1102? They are making nice campers out of them. I also have a few M1010 bodies that would fit on a M1102 chassis frame. I have the gears turning on making one of them for resale. More in the future.

Cool! Just need a spot for myself and pup to sleep.

ssdvc

Putnam

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks