• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New type of LED's for MV?

04mustang

Hi,
While I was at drill this past weekend I noticed some very new a different type of LED headlights on one of our hemtt A4 fuelers. We just received 4 new ones straight from oskosh about 2 months ago, so this is very very new to us.
These headlights looked very similar to the 8700 series lights by speaker.
Has anyone seen these around yet?

Thanks,
Corey

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have plenty of A4 HEMMTs here, but not noticing a significant difference from previous LED setups... then again I don't get down to the motorpool much anymore.

Jeepsinker

These headlights are going to be like cell phones soon. You get the newest cool lights and seems like no long after there is already a new improved version out. Luckily I've had my old ones for a while so I've gotten some use out of them.

tim292stro

On many of the new designs Oshkosh has been showing them with J.W. Speaker LED fixtures. If the headlights you saw had 3-5 "projector" lenses inside the larger cover lens, then they were J.W. Speakers.

It's probably due to proximity as well as other performance and durability factors - both Oshkosh and J.W. Speaker are Wisconsin companies (Truck-lite is more eastern sea-board). I personally prefer the output pattern of the J.W speakers, as the Truck-Lite fixtures had a weak output pattern and less usable light where I prefer it. Niether are perfect (and that's before we start talking about cost).

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how much of a difference do they really make and I would assume the price on these are going to be outrageous like the last set. Unless you can buy some online in bulk.

tim292stro

Good comparison article is here on Pirate4X4.

They came to the same conclusion that I did, but they took the time to document it and take pretty pictures :). Price is a factor for most, but I don't think that if you're a government paying $600K for an MRAP you'll give much of a though to a cost increase of 100-200% for the LED headlights (only 0.2% total increase per vehicle).

Last edited:

04mustang

Hello all,
I went and looked at the trucks again at this drill this past weekend.
As it turns out they are in fact the speaker headlights.
They even say speaker in the plastic casting of the housing.
Just FYI.
Thanks,
Corey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks