• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New user old schooler

Myke

Welp...first of all..thanks for contributing to the HMMWV. I found this place as I went temporarily insane. A little true story worth the read. I spent MANY years being a Jeeper. After building up my TJ to the best it can be..I just got sick of seeing more and more Jeeps...literally 1 every 2 miles. So I was just randomly looking for something different. I ran into many Humvees and already owning an H2...I said "Hmmm 15k..I can probably do this". Welp I ran into an ad where it said "$1"...on FB marketplace. I sent a few messages to the cheapest (15k) and the ONE "$1" responded "$7,500". I definitely had that in my safe...after calling the guy he said he busted some u-joints and threw some belts but swore it ran. After talking a bit we agreed on some firearms and cash-IF I was interested. I drive up to Austin, TX and meet this old fellow..about 75 years old. We go to the Humvee and I look inside the engine bay and see the U-joints and he pops in the drivers seat and cranks it..It fires up for a split second where I see a puddle of oil. (here is where it gets good) I told him stop and I crawl under and see a huge defect...when the front driveshaft lost its ujoints...the shaft flopped around and smacked the oil filter gashing it. Well..I checked the oil and she was very low. We went to the auto parts..got some oil and a filter..filled her and after a jump..she fired up..now the belts...which at that point I didnt care...I wanted this Humvee..So I drive it around with some tangled belts...just to make sure it geared up and we came to an agreement. 4 firearms and $5000. It was already titled and insured...which was the best thing ever...Welp...Here I am and here is the Humvee...I really look forward to learning and hopefully contributing back to the community.

Attachments

3jacks

Welcome! There are millions of “Jeep guys”. Soon you’ll be known as “the humvee guy”. At least in my town, there’s only 1 of those.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the club! Looks like a good start. Best do the entire Lube Order and get it all squared away before you put her through the paces, as it sounds like the previous owner may not have done much preventive maintenance. Here are the technical manuals: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/tms-for-the-m998-series-hmmwv.78861/

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Bulldogger

Ajax MD

Looks like a decent deal.

You got 12 bolt rims with radial tires and run-flats and the racks for the bed, which is nice.

Dayron84

Welcome to the addiction! I was also a Jeep guy ( mostly cj’s) for a long time. I actually sold my restored cj8 scrambler to by my humvee a few months ago. This forum has a great group of knowledge and helpful members that has been a huge help so far to me. I highly recommend reading over the TM’s and get started on all the preventative maintenance. These are a totally different animal than jeeps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks