• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New VA member

mtldrmcor

First off, this site is amazing. So much information and good people in one place. I live in south-central VA and have been looking at owning a deuce and a half for a very long time. My grandfather was a master seargent mechanic at Fort Eustis VA and he retired from the army and went into the private sector teaching classes on his work after retirement. He was in WWII, Vietnam, and the first gulf war. I remember him talking about these trucks and how they were a chore to maintain but they never let him down. The man helped raise me and I'd love to own one of these vehicles. Nostalgic and cool factors aside I can really see myself getting use out of one of these beasts from time to time. I know little about them, besides what I've been looking up online about them, and I've never dug into one. I've seen one at a Richmond cars and coffee event a year ago and it was the first one in real life I've laid eyes on but the gentleman was packing up and leaving when I arrived. Are there any members around the Keysville area that wouldn't mind helping me learn if I want to persue this hobby? I am mechanically inclined and tend to do all my own work as long as it isn't out of my range, or has very expensive specialty tools. I like the M93 too but I really don't want to get my CDL at this time. Any local help would be very appreciated! I just don't have the cash right now to buy one and the 7500-12000 price tags I keep finding are out of my range for a couple years for sure. Maybe someone has a great deal to get rid of some extra deuces? Haha.

Mark

NormB

Let me be the first to welcome you to the madness.

You may find a deal in the price range you mentioned, a well-maintained, road-titled model w/ good paint.

If it takes a while to put the money together - or win the lottery - it'll make the acquisition all the more special to you.

Meanwhile, haunt the forums, learn what you can, download the operating and maintenance manuals and see what issues others have reported and how they've approached/fixed them.

Good luck.

Norm

AceHigh

I may be too far from you, 3 1/2 hours, but you are welcome to swing by and take my truck for a spin. I just finished a bunch of maintenance items, belts, hoses, filters, adjust valves and so on and the good news is you probably have most of the tools you will need.

Attachments

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Alexandria VA up north.

Deuce prices have come down in recent years. A decently maintained machine can be had for circa $5,000. You need to have cash and be ready to move is all. This forum and Craigslist are worth watching.

If you don't mind a project and ALX isn't too far, I have a neighbor with a once-proud Deuce. He wants more than I can muster, but I can ask and tell him I've a serious buyer interest if you've 2-3 grand. PM me if interested. I don't know his cave-in price, but it's >$2,000 (my offer).

Bulldogger

mtldrmcor

Thank you all for the kind welcomes. I should have some savings built up by the time spring hits again. I hope I have a good 5,000 laying around for one when that deal rolls through. I haven't seen much around the site or craigslist under 7500. One will come, just a matter of time. I've got the itch but it can wait. I have a 1948 Ford 8n and have worked on a few other old model tractors in my life so I have quite a few larger size sockets and wrenches. I have various other tools and air in the shop as well. Hopefully I have everything tool related I will need. Diesels are just something I haven't worked on but I understand the mechanics behind them. This being a multi-fuel engine is also a first.

@twisted60: Thank you. Be careful with Irma down there sir. I've got family near Longwood and Sanford. Hopefully everyone pulls through well.
@AceHigh: Thank you and I appreciate the offer sir. You have a nice looking Deuce there and it sounds well taken care of. Unfortunately that would be quite a trip at this point in time.
@Bulldogger: I'll PM you as I'm curious. I don't know how I would get it home if I couldn't drive it as ALX is about 4 hours one way from me. That is taking 15 the whole way. 95 is 3 hours but by the time traffic is factored in it is probably 4 hours anyhow.

I've been reading about the do's/don'ts and what to look out for. Is there anything you wish you had on hand before you purchased a deuce or something you wish you had known? Just advice for a prospective owner. Thanks a lot!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks