• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb recovery of a M101A3

SteveNJ

Well, bout a week late but last weds nite I drove down to the Naval shipyard in VA to recover a newly won m101A3. First time bidding on Gl, first time recovery, haven't towed a 101 since I was in the army 20 years ago, so all in all anew experience.

Drove from NJ to VA overnite, was just about the first person in the pass office, got to the DRMO at 7:30 on the nose, rolled in, hooked up and was gone, driving back to NJ by 8:30am

1997 Turtle Mountain M101A3 towed by a 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser

Here I am hooking up:
IMG_0500.jpg

Closer view:
IMG_0501.jpg

I had to slap on a set of magnetic lights I brought just in case, the harness adapter I had ordered didn't show up in time.
Overall pretty good condition, minor rust, the whole process was a breeze.

Did have one question, I want to keep the lights/harness. Would these be the correct 12v LED to replace the current bulbs with?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,1156,21,194:

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. The 1156 base is what you want. Don't make the mistake of getting white LEDs. They work differently than incandescent light bulbs. You need to get RED LEDs to put behind red lenses, amber behind amber, etc.
I don't know what LEDs you tried but I went with a 10V to 30V white LED and used it for the top two bulbs in the housing and they worked great hooked up to my Mazda Pickup and a Pinzgauer 6x6. Best of both worlds to use the same bulb for different voltages.

Mark

led-10v-30v-bulbs.JPG

20130821_173049.jpg

20130928_084339.jpg

SteveNJ

I don't know what LEDs you tried but I went with a 10V to 30V white LED and used it for the top two bulbs in the housing and they worked great hooked up to my Mazda Pickup and a Pinzgauer 6x6. Best of both worlds to use the same bulb for different voltages.

Mark
thanks for for the info, found the ones you used on auction and picked them up!

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! Hope you ordered 4 of them. I Left the small 24 volt bulbs in the housing for the blackout lights to use with the Pinz. I can't use them on the Mazda anyway. What did you order for an adapter plug ?

Mark

SteveNJ

Yep, 2 sets of 2. I picked up a 12 pin to 4 adapter last week, little pricey but well put together and goes right into existing harness with no issues, also got new covers so lights should be squared away now.
My blackout lights are actually LEDs (found them when I took off the covers) can't use them but it's cool, took off the covers and internals look almost brand new

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well in the pure sense I'm sure you are correct but the ones I used look completely acceptable and bright I would add.

Thanks,

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks