• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbee needs help with the mep-003a governor

oldgenset

Well after a very long drive on a very hot day I now have a mep-003a backup genset.
We load tested it with a range top and added a heat gun for extra measure. It held the load at about 50% and ran very smoothly (with a little help)

Yesterday the fuel shutoff solenoid was working fine and stop the unit when we switched it off.

Today it didn't seem to want to work. It appears there is no voltage going to it.

The biggest issue was that the governor does not seem to be working. Even with the throttle knob/shaft all the way out it only holds that speed for a short time. As soon as the load was applied rpms dropped.
The linkage is all free and seems to able to work it just does not control the throttle?

Is there any ideas of things I should look at first to get this straight.

Thanks for your input.

Guyfang

Staff member
Download the manuals and look at the schematic to find out why the fuel shut off is not getting voltage. K-5 relay is what you need to look for.

When a load is applied, and the RPM's dropped, then I would suspect a fuel supply problem.

oldgenset

Download the manuals and look at the schematic to find out why the fuel shut off is not getting voltage. K-5 relay is what you need to look for.

When a load is applied, and the RPM's dropped, then I would suspect a fuel supply problem.

I agree but we can manually speed up the engine load or no load by moving the linkage. Even with no load, it does not see to want to maintain the rpms
by using the governor. So does the solenoid also control throttle position or is it to just shutoff the fuel ?
I am starting to read the manuals now.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks