• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie eating an elephant

79stang

Hey all,

I just introduced myself in another thread.

Now to the meat and potatoes of my questions. As I said earlier my Uncle bought a goat with the idea of restoring it. This task has fallen to me since he died. So I will list the problems with the goat and if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

1) It has been setting for a couple of years.
I am going to flush all of the fluids, replace rubber pieces, grease everything.
2) The steering box is locked up pretty good.
I have seen replacements (used) and was wondering if it just needs opened up and cleaned out to fix it?
3)The sending unit does not work, are their replacements or ways to fix it? If its too much I will just use the eyeball meter.

Thats all I have found for now, I know that there is more lurking just beneath the surface. Thanks for any help.

79stang

Well its the adage, "how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time". Since there is a lot to know and figure out, I feel like I am eating one and its a funny line.

1958 M274

1) It has been setting for a couple of years.
I am going to flush all of the fluids, replace rubber pieces, grease everything.
Sounds like a good start. Be sure to check the transfer case oil pump and ensure that it is working.
2) The steering box is locked up pretty good.
I have seen replacements (used) and was wondering if it just needs opened up and cleaned out to fix it?
It is likely that the front steering gear has water in it, especially if it has been exposed to the elements. Water will pool around where the steering column hooks to the gear and if the seal is bad the gear will fill with water. See what comes out when you pull the drain plug...

79stang

Ok, thanks.

I forgot one thing, everyone says that these things are loud as ****, is there anyway to quiet them down a little bit? Like adding a second muffler or a better primary? Thanks.

1958 M274

Ok, thanks.

I forgot one thing, everyone says that these things are loud as ****, is there anyway to quiet them down a little bit? Like adding a second muffler or a better primary? Thanks.
I'm sure you probably could, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble in my opinion. It isn't just the exhaust noise that's loud, it's also the roar of the radiator fan, gear noise from the drive train, supercharger whine, and all around clatter from the engine that's sitting 12" behind you! Just use hearing protection. That being said, my goat isn't any louder than my 2 1/2 ton.

BillIdaho

Install a VIC-1 system, that away you can talk to the passenger, and retain your hearing.
Forget about another muffler. It's the nature of the beast.
I have walked in your shoes. I had to go through mine and even though it was a long knuckle-bustin', frustrating, process, in the end it was worth every second.
What sending unit are you talking about? Water temp or oil pressure?
In regards to the steering being locked up, as already mentioned, money says it's the front unit. Pop the front inspection plate on the hull and drop the drain plug. More than likely a sludge looking paste will drip out. In the grand scheme of things, if that happens, you'll probably have to yank it out and replace it. IF that's the case, whence the new one goes in, insted of any oil, fill it with marine grease.
Get a lube order and spend a day underneath with a grease gun.
Hopefully you have the upgrade for inspecting the flow on the transfer case. It is simply a piece of clear (or clear at one time) hose on the feeding line for the top of the case. Start the rig and watch to see if you have oil going through that line. If not........sit down, and take a deep breath. A new transfer case might be in the future. Another upgrade you will want to do is check the fluid in the transfer case. If it is milky, it's becasue there is no vent and the condensation messes things up fast. There is an upgrade to install a vent. It's easy and cheap. ( the least of your concerns if you have no oil flow through it to begin with.)

79stang

Ok, well I am going to cozy up on my favorite piece of cardboard and drain everything this weekend. I will let you know how everything goes. The fuel sending unit is what isnt working. I took it out of the tank and cleaned it off, but the connector is lose in the metal housing. As for the steering box, it has started to loosen up with lots of penetrating oil. Like I said, I will let you know how it goes. I am planning on doing the line upgrade. Oh and I have an air operated grease gun, but its still going to take forever.

Stagg

Hey you made it over to SS... and it looks like you are well on your way to incurable "OD Iron" disease :cool: and being on this site it will not be long before you start trying to buy a Deuce or 5-ton!

fasttruck

Find article on gama goats in recent military vehicles magazine. It details a lot of their problems. Noise ?
I recall the goat runs a 3-53 or 4-53 detroit two cycle diesel engine and they don't call them screamin
jimmies for nothing.

79stang

Ok, its parts list time.

I need the thing (no idea what its called) that connects the rear steering linkage to the front steering box. Its the very first one that has the pinon and then connects to the female input shaft. I am guessing this is what wore down and my Uncle removed. I have no idea where it is. Any help?

Also, got all of the fluids drained. The transfer case was fine. Although how do you drain the steering box (front and rear)? And I might be in the market for a new rear differential. I had a lot of water come out.

79stang

UPDATE

The motor might be shot. I have a couple of mechanic friends who said they would try to get it running. It had sat for a while with water in the engine. If not I have two Chevy 400 V8s that should work. Does anyone know what all is involved in the swap? Also, the bottom of the steering box has been removed/broken. Could one of you take a picture of the steering box so that I know what I am looking at? I have contacted TJ Murry about a steering box, but I know there are a few on ebay. Its one step at a time, so if anyone has any advice, I am all for it. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks