• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Has 2 ?s on M1008 - Oil & Belts

1stgear

Hello everyone!

Great site here. Looks like lots of good information. Just picked up an '86 M1008 last week and am enjoying the crud out of it. What a FUN truck. I just can't believe how many people come up to me and want to talk about it.

Here are my questions - any help apprecieated.

> What kind of oil (brand/weight/how many quarts) is best to use with these diesels?

> What oil filter is best to run?

> The belts need replacing. There are 3. If I go to the local parts store, will they be able to pull up what I need? This truck still has the 24v 2-alternator set-up. If the parts store can't pull them up, can you guys tell me some part #s or sizes of the belts?

Thanks for any and all help!
Glad to be here.

Rebelpride

On oil I run Rotella 15W-40 ask most people who drive a diesel and they'll tell you the same thing.
I think the oil capacity on the 6.2L is 7qts.

Right now I splurged and bought a K&N oil filter, but I've used Fram all my life or the Advance Auto equivilant on my S10, some guys on here swear by WIX.

And you should have no problems finding belts for the truck, go to advanceautoparts.com and plug in your info you should be able to find all 3.
Hope this is some help.

Croatan_Kid

I use 7 quarts of Rotella 15w-40 myself, but accompanied by a Purolator filter...not the PureOne, just the regular old white Purolator. Everything on my truck was Purolator when I got it, so I'll assume that's what the Army used.

86M10086.2L

ditto on the rotella 15w-40 and a fram PH5 oil filter and fram air filter. I just took my belts to the parts store and they matched the numbers. I chose gator backs belts just to try them, seem ok after 10k miles

Bobert

I use the PH5 as well. It is the same for my small block chevy.
As for belts, I searched this a while ago myself.

QUOTE::::: CCATLETT1984

The belt #'s for GoodYear GatorBack Belts (lifetime Warrenty) are as follows

Fan & PS Pump = 15461
Pass. Alt. & Fan = 15485
Dr. Alt. & Fan & PS Pump = 15581

Fare warning the two alt belts are a little on the tight side, use a flathead to work them onto the pully. Once they are on there is plenty of room to adjust them. The next size up in belts are too big for use on the alternators, at least with the brand that my auto parts store stocks.

AJMBLAZER

Congrats on the big ugly truck.

Another vote on the Rotella T 15w40.

You guys need to do some info searching on oil filter tests. FRAM is junk. No where near the quality they used to use.
All of my vehicles (including my lawn mower interestingly) get NAPA Gold filters. NAPA's filters are rebadged WIX filters, some of the best out there and definitely the best for the money. If I could find a place to get AC Delco filters that didn't think they were gold I'd probably run them as well.

86M10086.2L

We don't have any Napa's that I'm aware of by me and no one stocks WIX either. I would and have run the AC Delcos but by the chain stores logic I am the only person running a 6.2L in suffolk county so they wont order just one filter and are hard to come by. I'd get them from the regular parts guys, but a $10 a filter average I'll stick with fram.

Croatan_Kid

I'm surprised nobody else uses Purolator! Every filter on my truck is Purolator actually....air, oil, and fuel. I even got the air filter with the little "blanket" around it.

JohnFire

I use purolator fuel filter, K&N air and oil filter. Kinda doing the oil filter as a test. I have tended to use what the visor and the LO reccommend foroil weights, for temp ranges. For this summer I have been looking at changing over to a diesel oil, 15-40 that is sold in the 5 gal jugs.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too, use mostly Rotella 15W40. However, I also use a lot of Mobil Delvac 15W40, which is another excellent oil. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with using ANY name brand 15W40 oil...Valvoline, Shell (Rotella), Mobil (Delvac), Quaker State, etc. Maybe the type of oil you use might make a difference if you were driving hundreds of thousands of miles over the life of the motor like the over-the-road truckers do...but, at 10-15K miles per year (you most likely won't even put that much mileage on your CUCV)...go with a good name brand that is the cheapest. I think Rotella is probably the best, but I buy what COSTCO has on sale. It used to be Delvac and most recently has been Rotella. I started out in the hobby using Valvoline because that is what NAPA sells in 5 gallon pails. I've never noticed a difference except in the wallet, but I don't put more than a thousand miles on any truck in any given year.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, I use either military filters purchased surplus or NAPA filters. I've used WIX. I've also used FRAM. Most guys that I've talked to don't like FRAM filters. I'd pretty much use any name brand filter, but would opt for a better filter with my more expensive trucks. Still, I like to find military filters.

AJMBLAZER

Where are you getting the surplus filters?

Oh yeah, and if you can't find a source locally try www.Rock-Auto.com . They're cheap enough that even with shipping if I order parts for a few vehicles or different jobs at the same time it's cheaper for me to buy from them than the local guys. The difference in the price of shocks for my wife's DD was amazing between them and the local guys.

Bobert

I don't know what the difference is between a Fram or a Wix or a purulator.

It takes me a while to accumulate miles on vehicles in my fleet so It is easier to remember to change every even thousand.

2000 miles should not be enough time for the different brands to out filter the other.

I would think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks