• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie in over their head

Micalight

Very nice truck! I will move this to the LMTV section so that it is visable to others that might have the same issues.

I know a guy that had a dump truck. It was an air droppable one. When he got it, the cab was bent causing the doors to not close right, probably because it was air dropped and had a hard landing. We made a jug to straighten the cab and after things were aligned, the doors closed fine. Kinda looks like the lower part of the pas side door is bent in by the door handle. Look for wrinkled/peeling paint near the hinges and at the window frame, that will be a clue that there is a tweak.
Thank you
And the door seems pretty strait. No chipping or cracks anywhere. Lines look good.

Third From Texas

What about inspections? I have a year left before its biannual but I'm unsure where to take it. Do I need a commercial vehicle business?
Varies by state.

Good looking truck. I have a '94 like that. It's an S&S truck but you can tell it went back thru for a refit in the mid-2000's by the BAE placard. Would have seen fresh paint, seats, floors, lights, tires, cover, fluids, etc plus a thorough inspection.

Last edited:

Micalight

Varies by state.

Good looking truck. I have a '94 like that. It's an S&S truck but you can tell it went back thru for a refit in the mid-2000's by the BAE placard. Would have seen fresh paint, seats, floors, lights, tires, cover, fluids, etc plus a thorough inspection.
Yes. My guess was '08. My understanding is the did about 10k in trcks and trailers. She a good runner so far. Need a little TLC but seems to be gtg.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No idea. They don't have inspections in any state I've ever lived in. What do they check?
Simple Awesomeness ,

It is another government tax. Especially here in North Carolina it is called a Safety Inspection. The short version is to see if the lights come on, blinkers work, the horn works and that the windshield wipers move. YES, there are hundreds of inspection points like brake shoes to look at, drum thickness or scoring, a real look at the rubber on the windshield wipers, safety belts and buzzer or beepers functional. Tires, steering and suspension, Window Glass not broken, Aftermarket Window Tinting (Additional Fee for testing is $10), and mirrors are also included in the inspection.

22 of 100 counties in our state require emission tests are done as part of that inspection with a sniffer up the tail pipe. 48 counties require onboard computer diagnostics reporting verification.

I am guessing there are tens of thousands of inspection stations in our state. Cost is anywhere from $13.60 (no emissions) to $30.

I will let you decide how much of an inspection you get for $30. Me personally, I wouldn't walk out into a parking lot, crank the customer's car, drive it into a bay for that thirty bucks.

It is a tax plain and simple. As much as I hate the government stealing from us, I would just as soon give them the d$#@ money and quit wasting my time once a year for something that isn't going to make anybody or anything safer!

(Off Soapbox)

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple Awesomeness ,

It is another government tax. Especially here in North Carolina it is called a Safety Inspection. The short version is to see if the lights come on, blinkers work, the horn works and that the windshield wipers move. YES, there are hundreds of inspection points like brake shoes to look at, drum thickness or scoring, a real look at the rubber on the windshield wipers, safety belts and buzzer or beepers functional. Tires, steering and suspension, Window Glass not broken, Aftermarket Window Tinting (Additional Fee for testing is $10), and mirrors are also included in the inspection.

22 of 100 counties in our state require emission tests are done as part of that inspection with a sniffer up the tail pipe. 48 counties require onboard computer diagnostics reporting verification.

I am guessing there are tens of thousands of inspection stations in our state. Cost is anywhere from $13.60 (no emissions) to $30.

I will let you decide how much of an inspection you get for $30. Me personally, I wouldn't walk out into a parking lot, crank the customer's car, drive it into a bay for that thirty bucks.

It is a tax plain and simple. As much as I hate the government stealing from us, I would just as soon give them the d$#@ money and quit wasting my time once a year for something that isn't going to make anybody or anything safer!

(Off Soapbox)
You can get non-resident license plates in states like North Dakota.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can get non-resident license plates in states like North Dakota.
Sorry, I thought we were discussing "inspections".

That is different than license plates. Years ago, there was a sticker on the windshield. Now days, it (the Inspection) is tied to the license plate. You must have a current inspection for the state to send you a new plate (or the sticker in most cases).

NC State Inspection Sticker.jpg NC-1968-69 Inspection Sticker.jpg

Sheet of paper below is the NC inspection report.

NC Safety Inspection Report.jpg

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I thought we were discussing "inspections".

That is different than license plates. Years ago, there was a sticker on the windshield. Now days, it (the Inspection) is tied to the license plate. You must have a current inspection for the state to send you a new plate (or the sticker in most cases).

View attachment 841706 View attachment 841707

Sheet of paper below is the NC inspection report.

View attachment 841708
I understood. My point was that if you don't want to put up with the stupid inspections, just register it in North Dakota.

Crazyls2

Welcome to the site.

It sounds like it is a 1996 M1078.

My suggestion is to get it hauled. Better to learn about the truck when it is in your driveway, as opposed to on the side of the road. Good luck!
He's right, I am learning all kinds of new things about mine right now, and none of this education has been free

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I understood. My point was that if you don't want to put up with the stupid inspections, just register it in North Dakota.
I get it (now).

I am not a lawyer. I'm not an expert of "going around the system" either.

All I can really do is use plain simple logic. As much as I hate some of our stupid rules & laws, if I don't like them and some other state "treats me better" maybe it is time to move there. It is all money related. If a person has unlimited funds to fight the lawyers, insurance companies, and the government - you, me, all of us - can do anything we want to.

Sad part is that we ALL need to be standing up to these bureaucrats and saying HELL NO.

Today I don't have a HMMWV. I don't have a title stamped Off-Road Use Only. Tomorrow that might change. My title for the M936 sitting in the back yard could be stamped any day for any reason. Or any other handful of other FMV's. The real question is do we all stand together or do we get picked off one by one. Supposedly Ben Franklin said something like that...

If we vote with our wallet, or if we decide to fight asinine politicians things can be changed.

But we are a society of lawyers and those who want something for nothing.

Third From Texas

Or a bad

You can take the file to FedEx office and have them print and bind them too...
I bet that costs a pretty penny. The TM I have in print must be two reams of paper single-sided.

The majority of it you'll likely never need. You can always just print the pages per task. I keep the electronic copies handy when I'm driving but the hard copy does come in handy in the garage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks