• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie in PA

Osprey

Hi everybody! I recently bought an 86 M1008. I knew it needed a few things, and brought it to my mechanic to get it inspected. I'm a bit stunned after paying for new exhaust front to back, new tires (Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, 155/85/16, which look great by the way), and rear brakes redone. I've torn the dash apart (all the way apart, cleaned all the contacts in the ribbon circuits at the back), fixed the stuck gear indicator, and reassembled, but didn't get the gremlins out. I got all the dial backlights working, but now the left blinker indicator doesn't work. DOH! Also the low coolant level light is always on even though fluid levels are fine. I might just take that bulb out. Also the 4WD light doesn't work now. Any tips on dealing with non-working lights? I did replace all the bulbs with new ones. I also cleaned the contacts at the back of the fuel level gauge, but the needle still tends to wobble back and forth. Anyone have that issue? Today I removed the windows from both doors in order to replace the totally hard/crumbly rubber around the windows. Because the window broke the other day when the door was slammed.:cry: So I spent the day learning how to disassemble door panels and take windows out. Things I need to do:
  • fix several cab leaks - one through the floor vents I think, and one at the seam where the cab roof meets the pillar between the door and rear window. Everything looks fine on the outside, I'm thinking poorly installed door weatherstripping.
  • install weatherstripping and reinstall windows - found a replacement at a junk yard for $35
  • Side mirror is missing the rubber gasket where the mount meets the door. Any ideas where to get one of those? Or what sort of sheet rubber to make one from?
  • wire-brush rust underneath and apply rust reformer - I'm going to use the stuff from the Rust Store.
  • Something was once mounted on the roof of the cab - four holes were patched (badly) at one time. Any idea what used to be up there?
  • Redo rusty cab corners.
  • Install Coverlay dash skin over the totally beat dashpad.
  • It needs to be repainted at some point - looks like it was last painted by a drunk guy with a paint brush - lots of brush marks.
  • Bedline the floor of the cab
Sigh. more projects than I was anticipating. A few more questions:
How long do you let your truck warm up before driving off? Until it drops from high idle into low?
The steering on my truck is pretty vague, and at 55 mph it tends to drift a bit. anything to be done about that?
Thanks to all for any guidance!

joshuak

Hi everybody!... Any tips on dealing with non-working lights? I did replace all the bulbs with new ones.
Hey Osprey, welcome aboard. Nice avatar, me thinks it's a beautiful bird. As you may have already done, a general instrument cluster clean up might help. Great threads have been put together here in the CUCV Helpful Threads, check'em out.

I also cleaned the contacts at the back of the fuel level gauge, but the needle still tends to wobble back and forth. Anyone have that issue?
I do, if she's not full, it bounces.

Sigh. more projects than I was anticipating.
Welcome to CUCV ownership! Hope you have a blast and the best of luck.

Katavic918

Welcome from md. Let it warm up to 120 but take it easy until fully warmed. I usually cheat a little. Download the electrical schematic tm's for your truck. They make life so much easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks