• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie With a 1984 M923 - So many questions...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just wanted to follow up here and thank you all for all the info.

my caging pins are all present and stowed, I won’t be towing anything and still don’t quite understand when I should be caging the breaks.

my ignition has started to act up on me.... I have a feeling it’s the switch itself, but no rhyme or reason to it. It just seems to all of a sudden not send power to the starter when I’m trying to crank it over. No clicking or actuation noises or anything. Come back 2-3 minutes later and it will crank right over... not sure.

Carc paint on this rig has never been painted over. I found a commercial paint made by uline, really perfect match oil based enamel. Anyone have any pointers about prep? Retired army buddie told me that carc paint dust is super carcinogenic?

Super singles - seems like converting from the bud wheels over to the larger super singles would be quite the undertaking. Good idea or just run these?
super singles is all about size and look. costly but up to the owner.

ignition issue is PCB issue. solenoids inside are being a pain. box is easily rebuildable as their are a few threads here to show you how to do it.

if you used oil based paint be sure to use a hardener so it will dry and cure in a few hours over the 30 days they want for right out of the can. any rain will cause the paint to bubble up in that time.

fasttruck

Caging pins are used to cut out the parking brake to prevent it from engaging when the vehicle has to be towed and no air is available from the towing vehicle to keep the brake released. Super singles ? be prepared to replace at least 6 wheels and tires. If the wheels you get are stud piloted like the 111:00X20s you have now you will not have to replace the hubs which will be required if you go with hub piloted wheels.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try tapping the back of the starter where the brushes are and the solenoid. I suspect your starter is going bad and when ithe windings hits the bad spot is your problem. Starters have a history of this type of failure.

74m35a2 sells a direct drive unit that is smaller, lighter, and cranks faster. Well worth the upgrade from the 70's boat anchor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So, i accidentally left battery in the on position overnight while doing some maintenance. What’s the easiest/recommended a way to jump or charge these batteries?
If you don't have a 24v truck to jump with then remove the pos to neg connector cables and charge each battery independently

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks