• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with Qs.. Of course

azkcr

Hey guys.
Long time lurker and have gotten gobs of info from y'all. Insane how much I've learned. Thank you for making it public and accessible.

Name's Ben and I've lived all my years in Borger TX.
I was fortunate enough to get the winning bid on not just 1, but 2 m923a2.
I'm like a kid in a candy store and can't wait to get them.

My question is, exactly how long are they? The TM says the "vehicle length" is ~26'. but if you keep scrolling, it says the length is ~41ft under "chassis dimensions".
Just trying to figure out how I'm going to load these puppies on my haul trucks.

Thanks in advance and am glad to be here

Ben

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
307.2 inches in length. All the manuals with all this good info are in the "tech manuals" section of this fine site.

azkcr

Alright. Thanks for clearing it up.
It was just weird because the TM also says 40.8' under "length" in the "chassis dimensions" on table 1-5 on page 1-19

azkcr

Haha! Yessir! One is for me and my brothers, other will be getting donated to our young VFD.
I'll be doing a whole other build thread for that. Haven't designed the tanks, pump, or configuration. I'li be building it with designs to address high CoGravity.

And thanks, the only one I'm afraid of is the truck in the snow pic. The inspections said it ran well with no blow by, but that there was no oil psi...
Either bad gauge/sender or no oil... That'd be no Bueno...

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and hobby. Nice trucks and seemingly a good "score". The one with (indicated) no oil pressure probably has a bad gauge or sender, they aren't the most reliable things ever. Post up your loading and trip home, with pictures of course.

azkcr

Thanks for the welcomes guys.
I reeally look forward to starting these projects and maybe contributing something useful to this site. I agree with being an "ambassador" to this privilege/opportunity that we've been given, especially when so many rites are taken away nowadays.

The pick-up trip, problems (hopefully none), journey, and pics will be in a different thread and I'll link it to here for anyone who cares to see!

azkcr

Welcome fellow Texan !
And I was just in Houston this weekend visiting my sister. Nice 10hr drive there and back for 3 days..... Haha

I went to aTm in college station, so I'm no stranger to Houston. Miss that country down there compared to the panhandle....

Last edited:

azkcr

Both. Haha
Still waiting on my background check to clear.
I have some unofficial fire fighting experience but will be doing as much training as possible.
I unfortunately have plenty of time to get the truck ready and training complete. Our small budget will require grants which I know nothing about but assume they take a while.
We have mostly VFDs in all our cities/counties in the panhandle.

azkcr

Yes.
But that would require approval, then grants, then waiting for approval to do what we need/want to it.
We have a difficult situation right now, especially because we're so new.
This was the easiest/quickest/surest way we'd get one.
And I won't be restricted with what I want to do with it before donating... Haha

NEIOWA

Yes.
But that would require approval, then grants, then waiting for approval to do what we need/want to it.
We have a difficult situation right now, especially because we're so new.
This was the easiest/quickest/surest way we'd get one.
And I won't be restricted with what I want to do with it before donating... Haha
No if you are a FD then call the state forester contact for FFP and FEPP programs. FFP you get title FEPP is permanent loan program. There is no grant application involved and in either case can modify however you want/need. OR if you are a real gov't entity can go thru state federal surplus property office and negotiate some kind of price or what you want/need (they get it for FREE, usually move it to their warehouse and then most charge some $ (sell) to run their operation/maintain the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed IE a scam). You again get title.

LOTS of everything available in TX with all the active duty bases and depots. And TX has a VERY active Fed Surplus office scraping up lots of stuff nationwide.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks