• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly acquired M1008A1

aboonski

Thanks to Craig's List I managed to obtain another M1008A1 in trade for one of my 89 K5 Blazers with a 350TBI. Part of the arrangement was for him (Robert) to get the axles and I would keep the rest which was fine for me. He brought the CUCV over from Brooksville Florida on a 5th wheel gooseneck trailer and after offloading it, he and I got to work removing the axles which was relatively easy once the 15/16ths nuts broke free on the U-bolts. After we loaded the K5 and the axles from the CUCV on his trailer, I got back to work on the M1008A1 which was sitting on jack stands in my driveway. I pulled the front and rear axles out of one of my five K5 Blazers and installed the front first - eveything bolted up without too much difficulty; the back axle was another story! K5 Blazer axles have different mounting pads in comparison with those of the 14 bolt M1008 trucks. I just wanted to have a way to roll this thing around because it will be a donor truck and never driven. I wound up making a lot of modifications just so I could get one U-bolt one each side of the leaf springs in order to keep the axle from moving around during short hauls around my yard. Spare parts are very nice to have! I decided not to run out and buy an M1009 now that I have this other truck; the other four K5s will be parted out and scrapped very shortly! Scrap is going for $13.00 per 100 pounds here in Central Florida so I'll be busy for sure!

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

1 ton trucks have different spring pad and shock locations than the 1/2 ton and lighter 3/4 tons. If you want to use the 10 bolts from the K5's you'll need to move the perches and mounts on them.

Croatan_Kid

IIRC, 1-ton truck's spring perches are 40 inches where 1/2 and 3/4 tons are 43 or so. Also, a 1-ton's shock mounts are on opposite sides, so they need to be moved. You'll also need a conversion u-joint....1330 to 1350 I think, or 1310 to 1350, don't quite remember.

aboonski

Thanks for the info!

I appreciate the information about the correct components to use for the smaller axles. I have four K5s at my disposal for parts right now so I may just do everything over again when time allows. Scrap prices are so high at the present time that I am planning on dismantling all but one of the Blazers just for the extra cash it will generate in these tough economic times. The motor and tranny is still in the frame that I pulled the axles out of as are the leaf springs and all the parts that connect them to the frame. The newly acquired CUCV did not come with a title so it will never see the highway again - a lot of the parts will though! I was fortunate to get the cargo cover hardware around the bed of the truck which has better quarter-turn fasteners than what I have on my truck. Stuff like that is so hard to find and the prices are just outragious too! I just love my M1008A1 and want to keep it on the road indefinitely.