• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly acquired M39-a2 I believe

DbblDrew

It was my grandfathers 5-ton Kaiser-Jeep truck and he recently passed away so I’ve been trying to fix it up. It’s a Continental multi-fuel and seems to not have very much power and is hard to start warm or cold it’s need starting fluid to start cold and smokes all the time hazy blue white even after driving it for a few hours. Trying to learn as much as possible about it. Just wondering if anyone has has the same issues or might have a solution. Someone said it might be the turbo. Thanks for any and all help

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Yes the mulifuel engine smoked a lot when it rolled off the assembly line, although it tends to be black as coal. And power is typical 1960’s diesel truck. Suggest you go all through the fuel system and clean everything and add some fuel conditioner when you finish, that should help. Lots of blowby could mean the engine is worn out, leading to bluish smoke.

HDN

That 5-ton looks nice! It looks like your grandfather really cared for it. Are you planning on keeping it?

Also, as you're working on the truck, be sure to consult the manuals for it, many of them you can find here:

The M39 manuals will be on the second page.

DbblDrew

Also on a nothing note the air assist on the breaks is not working I would like to try and re-build the air pack it seems like there are many many kits for rebuild so I have to disassemble it to see what one I would need or is there a master rebuild I can get?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your truck building air to begin with? No air, no boost...

BTW, your M39 is the first I've seen. They don't even have a photo of one in the usual TM's.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks