• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NH M880 gal, needs to get her truck road worthy

m880 kate

Hello, I own a 1977 Dodge M880 truck, formerly property of the Groton Mass fire department. There is a bit of rust around the door panels, oh, and a couple of small holes in the body the hornets used as a home last year. I am in need of a few parts, like a passenger door handle, need to put on a rear light for the license plate, and I need to figure out how to put a radio in a HUGE hole that apparently was used for dispatch that was cut out with a saws all. I dont want to install a new dash because the m880 plate with the info is mounted to the dash, and, I think, looks really neat.

My plan is to work with what i have and try to keep this as original as possible. I will need to change paint, and remove the reflective tape, but, would like to paint it a blue camouflage, okay I am female, and originally I wanted flamingo pink, but I think the blue scheme would look nice and not take away from the truck too much.

My first dilemma is that the truck was parked for a year. She started up easily but does not stay running unless the key is held open. I have read that it could be the ballast resistor, but the last mechanic that worked on her said it was fine. Could anyone tell me please: what the problem could be, how to troubleshoot and what tools I would need. I am not mechanical, but as long as I am told what I could "fry" if I don't do something right, I think I'd be okay. I also have my beau to help, but, this is my project and would like to learn as much as possible.

Next, I have purchased a new wiper motor, but i need to get the plastic things (like linkage or bushings). Is there something I should not do for fear of "frying it" when I attempt to put it back together? Looking for a heads-up, because I am the prodigy child of Murphy's Law.

Last, for now anyhow, is the tires. I have read it is easier to change out rims to a 16. and leave 16.5. The sad thing is my tire tread is awesome, but dry rotted. Is there a company that makes 16.5 at a fair price? If I have to change rims, does the truck look awkward?

That is all. thank you for any advice
Kate

CycleJay

Welcome to SS, Kate,

From Marietta, Ga..

If you are ever down in this area, and need any assistance, feel free to let me know.
I would be glad to do what I can.

Have a good day,

steelandcanvas

Welcome from the Plains of Colorado Miss M880 Kate! Here are some TM's (Technical Manuals) for you and your Beau to read. They should start you in the right direction to getting your truck roadworthy. Try and find a solution in the TM's and if you need answers, someone on the forum will chime in and help. Dry-rotted tires are no good, go to 16's and get some better tires, no, it doesn't look funny or out of place. Good luck!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/m880-tms/79316-tms-m880-series-trucks.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks