• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other states.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have often wondered about how or if things change as far as the need of CDLs and antique plates if you go from one state to another. For instance in Virginia there is no restriction on having a load in the bed, but from what I have heard from others in Maryland you can't. I expect there are similar differences in tightness of the laws with CDLs too. I have often heard that if you are legal in your home state you are legal in all the rest.

Another thing I have wondered about is weigh stations for personal use and antiques.

Pinkie

You do not need a CDL, the wieghts governing CDLs are on a federal level. I do not know what to tell you about hauling things. In VA you can NOT haul things around if you have antique tags. Mine is going to have Antique tags and I am going to haul things. Just my .02 cents.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Actually the DMV site that explains it fairly clearly does not say anything against having a load in your vehicle. It just talks about how you may use the vehicle. In Maryland, from what I was told by a 2.5ton owner, you cannot have any load in your truck. Spare transmission=ticket. Anyways I am not asking about what is legal or illegal in Va. I am asking if driving my legal vehicle in Va. will be respected in other states even if those states have different laws.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/antique.asp

ida34

As long as you are following your states laws and your truck is legal when on the road in you own state, you will be just fine in other states.

jdmcgowen

While on this subject. I'm going to purchase a 2.5 ton in California. In Ca. you need a CDL due to the two rear axels. I live in Oregon, and in oregon it's not an issue. If I go to California and buy this truck, will I be legal to drive it back to Oregon in California without a CDL?

CGarbee

Re: RE: No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other states.

jdmcgowen said:
While on this subject. I'm going to purchase a 2.5 ton in California. In Ca. you need a CDL due to the two rear axels. I live in Oregon, and in oregon it's not an issue. If I go to California and buy this truck, will I be legal to drive it back to Oregon in California without a CDL?
You are not a resident of CA, your insurance is not CA, your vehicle registration will not be for CA... Your home state of residence will control.

Interstate Commerce Laws apply...

rcadick

RE: Re: RE: No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other states.

Not just interstate commerce laws, but Article 4, Section 1 of the Constitution.

"Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof."

nickd

RE: Re: RE: No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other states.

Recently, I decided to opt to reregister my deuce as a historic vehicle in Delaware. I did the change before my original registration as a commercial vehicle expired. The DMV required a visual inspection to ensure the vehicle was not modified, chopped or lowered. I passed the visual. DMV reregistered the truck as historic and issued me a new sticker that stated EXEMPT for the lower right hand corner of the C (commertial) tag. So now unless someone is looking at the 1" square sticker it would appear I have commercial plates.

devilman96

I was pulled the other night in the Deuce... actually got an apology from the FHP officer for the stop. His reasoning was no tag, no rear bumper... I kinda giggled a bit when he said it but not in a rude manor. He checked my papers, the statues, after a few questions about the hobby he gave me a handshake and sent me on my way.

davesgmc

I know of a guy that purchased a Saracen APC, flat bed trailer and mac(I think) truck someplace up north, like Minnesota. It was all painted green. He drove it, no tags, no CDL, nothing all the way back to Arizona. Passed by all weigh stations and was even waived through all the toll booths, no charge. I guess everyone thought it was all 100% military. I drive my ferret all over the place. I get lots of questions naturally. And a lot of people think its active military vehicle. That is unitl I dirve it at night through the hot spots in the area, then they know its just crazy Dave just out having fun watching heads thurn and cameras flash.......what a joy!

DMgunn

In ND, there are no restrictions on carrying loads with antique plates, although they specifically prohibit farm or commercial use. Like many other states, they allow the use of license plates from the model year of the vehicle, but that causes all kinds of unnecessary stops by un-informed officers. More trouble than it's worth, IMO.

ida34

Re: RE: Re: RE: No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other sta

nickd said:
Recently, I decided to opt to reregister my deuce as a historic vehicle in Delaware. I did the change before my original registration as a commercial vehicle expired. The DMV required a visual inspection to ensure the vehicle was not modified, chopped or lowered. I passed the visual. DMV reregistered the truck as historic and issued me a new sticker that stated EXEMPT for the lower right hand corner of the C (commertial) tag. So now unless someone is looking at the 1" square sticker it would appear I have commercial plates.
Believe me we can see the 1" square. My wife wonders how I can drive down the road holding a conversation and still find an expired plate in the other lane. I gets to be second nature.

5tonpuller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: No CDL/Antique plates- Driving to other

In NY I was told I can not use it for what is was made for. EG wrecker, dump.
You dont need a CDL to drive it with hist. plates. But I had to show profe of another reg. vech. with ins. on it. Drive it no more the 2500 miles a year.
i stop at the weight stations when the lite are flashing. ( when lites flash all trucks must stop) So I do. It is a truck. They wave me by or come and tell me to leave. ( I dont get followed this way) My .05 worth

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

Counter to popular belief, if one reads the pertinent military manuals, you will see that both regulation and law require that overweight/overwidth military vehicles be permitted and routed just as oversize commercial vehicles would be. However, it appears that the belief that such laws do not pertain to the military is so wide spread that most LEO belief the myth as well - and so ignore OD (or at least NATO camo) vehicles.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

DMgunn

Here in ND, vehicles owned by the military, law enforcement, firefighting agencies, and ambulances, may be modified without regard to any of the rules that apply to all other vehicles. For example, bumper height, tire diameter, lighting, etc. I wonder if that would also exempt a military vehicle that is overwidth as built? Probably an arguable point. Of course, it would not apply to our trucks anyway, if they are aware that these vehicles are no longer in service.

Hookin1

When i bought my duece,i went to the scale for ky at the state line and talked to the guys there. The captain looked it up just to be sure, as long as i don't use it for commercial use i can use it as designed for personnal use.Indiana and Illinois told me the same thing.I have historic plates on mine. As far as Illinois,Indiana and Kentucky are concerned as long as i'm not hauling commercial they don't care. This was proven by kentucky when i pulled my 5 ton and trailer with the duece,went past the scale,stopped at the truck stop just down the street for fuel,when the dot pulled in and started taking pics.He said he just wanted some pics to send to his dad. Not sure about MD, but being a truckdriver i have argued my case b-4 and won. If in doubt get a copy of the law from your state and keep it in the truck with you...when stopped in another state,show them the copy when questioned it usually clears things up. Also be realistic 10,000lbs max cargo on hi-wayin a duece..they still can give you a overweight ticket commercial or not. also width and max length laws still apply.

rmgill

There's a couple of SC DOT guys that know me now from going through their station at I85. They pulled me the first time to gab about the truck and complement me on a cool ride. This past Feb when I wen through again, I got a red light for the scales so the operator could say "Hi!" and ask how things were going. It was actually rather nice. Good to know that if on that stretch of highway I have a problem there'll be some nice officers nearby that are already friendly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks