• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No fuel to engine

xerofuzzion

This it's my first hmmwv, bought a non running one, got it a couple months ago, just got some time to start working on it.

Engine cranks but won't start. Checked hose at fuel/water separator nothing there. When i got the hmmwv fuel tank drain plug was missing, relaxed it and put about 2 gallons of fuel in.

I thought maybe the fuel pump was broken but I've read a couple of post to pressurize the fuel tank.

Could this really be my problem?
Also, can continuously cranking engine burn glow plugs.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This it's my first hmmwv, bought a non running one, got it a couple months ago, just got some time to start working on it.

Engine cranks but won't start. Checked hose at fuel/water separator nothing there. When i got the hmmwv fuel tank drain plug was missing, relaxed it and put about 2 gallons of fuel in.

I thought maybe the fuel pump was broken but I've read a couple of post to pressurize the fuel tank.

Could this really be my problem?
Also, can continuously cranking engine burn glow plugs.
Start with putting more fuel in it , the fuel pump won't pump a tank dry otherwise it would pick up crap every time it got run low . Put 10 gallons in and see what it does.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start at the top going to the tank
Some might not like it, but this is the easiest way to go.
Disconnect the the fuel line going to the injector pump at the fuel filter
Take a small funnel and pour fuel into it, hold it up to feed the injector pump by gravity,then have someone crank it, it will run rough, but at least you will know if it runs or not
Make certain you have enough fuel in the tank, wait to see if fuel come out of the filter housing, if fuel is coming out stop the engine and reconnect everything and let it run at idle
If there is no fuel coming, go to the fuel pump, check if fuel is present in the intake line or the one from the tank. if there is fuel, then the pump is defective, replace it.
Let us know what happens

Last edited:

xerofuzzion

Ok, tried putting 10 gallons in the fuel tank, cranked for a couple minutes it still didnt start.

I took the hose off of the fuel/water separator going to the injector pump, i put the line into a bottle of fuel and the engine stated with a few cranks, actually ran pretty good. Only ran for a few seconds and bottle started running out of fuel. How much fuel does it need to where it'll start coming out of the fuel/water separator? i maybe wen't to small, used a 16oz bottle.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great, at least you know that you have a running engine.
If there is no fuel coming out of the water separator/fuel filter, I would look at the fuel pump
Again, check if there is fuel in the line from the tank.
The fuel pump breaking down is common for these, if you are going to order a new one also replace the fuel filter
The pump is an easy job, when you remove it, there is a shaft, take it out and put some thick grease on it, push it back, the grease will hold it in place while you re-install the pump, you will also need the gasket for the pump and plate to the engine

I will add that after a minute or so of running, fuel should be coming out, have a rag handy for the spray or put a piece of fuel line and a catch can.
Also, buy a few extra feet of fuel line, you can run it from the pump to a small fuel container to see if it will suck it up.

Last edited:

xerofuzzion

Used a bigger bottle this time, had the engine run for about 2-3 minutes, No fuel out of the fuel/water separator. Checked the fuel pump line coming from the fuel tank, maybe like 3 or 4 drops of fuel came out. So i guess my next step is to replace the fuel pump.

https://youtu.be/CQrs62cGWBA

Thanks LouWon for all the help. I appreciate it. [thumbzup]

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds great, glad to help.
Hopefully it's the pump, doe's seems to be that.

papakb

I just did this job on a friends HMMWV and there's no good way to push the fuel pump actuator pin back up into the block without removing the mounting plate. The gaskets are readily available and fit 1955 thru 1995 GM engines and only cost a few bucks so bite the bullet and remove the plate. I used wheel bearing grease to hold the pin up in the block when I remounted the plate and it washes out after the engine warms up so it won't cause any problems down the line. Use a touch of Permatex Hi-Tack to hold the gaskets in place. A word of advice when you do this job, remove the right splash panel and have a long extension with either a 3/8 swivel socket or a universal with a 3/8 socket to put things back together. This allows you to tighten everything up reaching in over the frame rather than busting your knuckles on all the solid stuff in the neighborhood.

Fuel pump: https://www.carid.com/spectra-premiu...gleid=78059414

Gasket:http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/5182/10002/-1

Last edited:

tomelroy

I just dealt with a similar no fuel issue, removed the hose coming from the pump before it enters the filter ( soft line to hard line connect with a hose clamp near the valley). It was bone dry. Cranked it over for a few seconds and it started to pump fuel. Reconnected the line and it started right up. Must have just lost prime to the lower pump.

xerofuzzion

Finally got some time to swap out the fuel pump, followed all the advice given plus some other found on the forum.

Removing the right splash guard makes the swap easier.
Also had someone crank the engine while i pushed in the push rod to find the position where it was most out of the way.

Video of first run of m998
https://youtu.be/_qmYV6Xi8yw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks