• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No lights on my M1009

455SD

I am starting to hate my truck.

All of a sudden, I have no lights. Headlights work, but no taillights. Turn signals and flashers work, but no running lights. Fuses all check out fine. No interior or dash lights.

Any suggestions??

CCATLETT1984

i assume that you mean no brake lights.
I would check the blackout light switches. make sure that they are in the right spots. might have a bad switch.
headlight switch might be flaking out. bad contacts.

You might also check the contacts in the fuse block. I have had expeirence with two M1009s that had oxidized/bad contacts in the fuse block. Good fuse but still no power. Some judicious scraping and/or straightening of the fuse block contacts should fix this kind of problem. Remember that most of these trucks are 20+ years old and there is a good chance that some of the fuse block terminals are corroded or burned. HTH

JD

455SD

I fixed it.

I gave the fuse box a good whack and everything came on. Looks like I'll be disassembling the fuse block and getting busy with contact cleaner here pretty soon.

Thanks guys.

ida34

Don't clean it. Insure it to the hilt as a collector's vehicle and wait for the fuse panel to burn it down.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My fuse box was a real problem in my 1984. The GI's had been hosing out the truck and getting it wet. Some of the terminals were badly corroded. The main light circuit overheated and melted the fuse block around the terminal. I ran a new wire from the 12v distribution terminal on the firewall inside the cab with an inline fuse holder. I then cut the wire at the fuse block and soldered everything together. It worked like that for 8 years and counting. Check all of the terminals for loose wires, crispy connections, melted insulation, etc... Buy some terminal cleaner that you brush on from Radio Shack or the like. You can also use a some dielectric grease on the fuse blades. Use it sparingly though. You don't want to slather it on or you could have bridging issues. Hope this helps!

mangus580

Given the number of fuse panels i have seen that are melted around the headlight fuse, I suspect its a wiring design on the CUCV. They do send every bit of electricity for the Blackout system through that fuse.

acetomatoco

Blackout system.. the headlight and the 4 markers probably only draw a coupla amps.. so current should not be a problem... Lots of these units were flushed with salt water before sitting on the boat for a coupla weeks on the way home from u no where.. and in reality, the windshield seals ae poorly designed and all my CUCVs leak down the inside of the firewall and puddle on the floor in the rain...of course running thru any wiring they encounter along the way... The acid rain from the Mid West eats electrical circuits for lunch...but the nice cheap power from the coal fired power plants keeps my beer cold...win some...lose some.. ACE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks