• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NON-Wisconsin Registration & Use Information Wanted

stumps

Most (all?) states have laws requiring vehicles garaged in the state to be registered in the state. There are some exceptions for businesses that rent cars and trucks (Uhaul, etc..).

Make sure that your vehicle is not regularly seen driving WI streets, or being parked on WI streets at night, and you will probably be able to get away with flouting the law for a long time...

-Chuck

undysworld

Wisconsin law requires a Wisconsin resident who owns a vehicle and operates that vehicle within Wisconsin to register said vehicle under Wisconsin registration requirements: s. 341.40(2), Wis. Stats.

Here's a link: Wisconsin Legislature Data

For cases such as this, it would be legal if the truck were "owned" by the gentleman from out-of-state and merely "borrowed" by the Wisconsin resident. That way you could park and drive it legally in Wisconsin.

Cheers,
Paul

eisenhe

Luckily Dad lives across the river in the UP, so it's not a huge stretch to go back and forth. And since it's his name on the title, no problem as far as ownership. Thanks guys!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan
Insurance required
Former wheeled MV's are treated the same as any other motor vehicle. While it may be nice to get some specific MV registration standards, it would likely be a slipery slope that I don't want to go down.
I have put some thought into this as a member of the Great Lakes MVPA and Michigan Museum of Military Transport Foundation. I keep coming to the conclusion that it is unwise to wake a Sleeping Bear

chevkeith

Paul -

I recently purchased a D30 from a dealership in GA, with a valid title. I went to the local DMV office and was redirected to Madison. The DMV in Madison had all my information for about 2 weeks and then called to tell me that I can not register this vehicle in WI because it was built to military specs and not federal specs. The only area it might not pass is emissions..

I can understand this applying to the larger trucks (6x6 etc) but not on a pickup truck (K30 base).

Also, the bill seems to indicate that the vehicles can only be used for parade events and must be kept stock.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this registered for on/off road use in WI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

stumps

Paul -

I recently purchased a D30 from a dealership in GA, with a valid title. I went to the local DMV office and was redirected to Madison. The DMV in Madison had all my information for about 2 weeks and then called to tell me that I can not register this vehicle in WI because it was built to military specs and not federal specs. The only area it might not pass is emissions..

I can understand this applying to the larger trucks (6x6 etc) but not on a pickup truck (K30 base).

Also, the bill seems to indicate that the vehicles can only be used for parade events and must be kept stock.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this registered for on/off road use in WI?
Sadly, your only option is to register it as historic military, and use it as a show queen, or move to another state.... just about any other state.

-Chuck.

stellaruthie

Im having the same issues with my M1009 blazer,just got title in the mail from Madison Wi and it reads "off road use only"!Anybody know how I can register for the road in WI?thanks Jeff

CatMan

WI Registration of HMVs

Jeff,

The new Wisconsin Historic Military Vehicle law past last spring takes effect on October 1st 2010. At that time you can apply to the WI DOT - by mail to Madison for a Historic Military Vehicle Plate for your CUCV.

Yes there are restrictions under this law. The truck can not be used for daily transpotrtation and must be in its military configuration. Advertizing your landscaping business or whatever on the side will get the application rejected.

The DOT has recently figured out what a CUCV is and that the trucks were built with out the federal compliance data plate for civilian use. They know there are lots of them incorrectly registered by DOT error.

Current law requires the DOT to issue a title but they mark it or "Brand" it "Off Road Use" . Since you applied for a title before OCt 1st, they issued the title the only way they can by LAW. After Oct 1st you will have an option with the new WI HMV plate. Watch the DOT web site for the announcement and the new application form. Send the title in with $30 and they will issue HMV plates and re issue the title with a different brand that says " Former Military Vehicle" instead of "Off Road Use Only"

Here is a photo of what the new plates will look like. The final testing of the new registration process is being completed soon to make the Oct 1st deadline.

Cat Man

Attachments

gel69

In Florida, mine is not old enough to be antique (heavy truck is 30 years old +) so for the next three years I am paying through the nose for the sticker (almost $200.00 dollars per year) because it is heavier than 5000 lbs. After that I will be able to get an antique tag at the cost of $10.00 per year (and it is a 12 month calendar year from january thru december, not base on the B day of the owner) for the rest it is pretty normal (insurance thru Hagerdy (less than $200.00 per year).

CatMan

Wisconsin Title and Registration

One of the good things that we were able to build into the new Wisconsin HMV law is the elimination of any reference to vehicle age requirements for registering US manufactured military vehicles.

So any former US made military vehicle qualifies as a Historic Military Vehicle. That includes the M35A3 series that are sold with 1990's manufacturing dates.

Foriegn imported former military vehicles must be 25 years old to qualify. That dovetails with the federal import regulations. Foreign imports over 25 years old are exempt from the requirement to meet the corrisponding NHTSA safety requirements.

Cat Man

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks