• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Carolina HMMWV Registration Experience and Tips (2023 + 2024)

honor first

I wanted to share my experience titling and registering a HMMWV in NC. This experience spanned late 2023 into 2024, so it is pretty fresh info. I also have some insurance experiences to share below.

I’ll start off by saying that I am a NC DMV expert. Not saying this to brag, but I don’t want any of the issues I lay out below being written off as amateur mistakes. These are issues that very well may come up for you, just trying to help prepare folks. I have registered 50+ cars in NC, all personal and not as a dealer, so I have spent a lot of time at DMV windows and counters. I take pride in being one of the few people that poor DMV lady sees that day that has everything lined up and there is no missing paperwork or questions that need be answered, usually as the person at the next window over is shouting at the other DMV employee, mad that they won’t let them registered a car with a NJ driver’s license, without NC residency, on a car registered in NY, that they don’t have a title in hand or lender letter on hand for. I also have extensive experience registering federal surplus vehicles without a title and with only an SF-97.

The long made short is this: PAY FOR AN IRON PLANET OBTAINED TITLE OR REGISTER WITH NO PAPERWORK AND SKIP THE SF-97! I detail below.

For anyone considering buying their first HMMWV, or for people who have done it, Iron Planet offers three paperwork options when buying:

• Nothing at all, you’ll have your invoice and payment receipt, and that is it. In NC, this will require a bonded title registration, a NC DMV License and Theft inspection, a surety bond, and then regular registration from there.
  • An SF-97, which costs $115 (as of 2023). An SF-97 registration is very simple in NC and elsewhere, the SF-97 is the equivalent to a title as far as the DMV is concerned, since the US Government does not obtain state titles and register vehicles like normal people. It is as good as a clean and clear title in-hand, and equally as easy to register.
  • A title, which was somewhere between $200-300 when I asked. IP said they would obtain a title for the vehicle, either from Montana or Florida. In theory, you now have a normal titled vehicle to register in NC.
I chose the SF-97 because they said it was instantly available, I am familiar with them, less expensive than a title, and less potential questions than a Montana title from a corporation that I figured would be lacking something such as a notary stamp (if required on that state’s title). The SF-97 is a sham from IP and an absolute waste of money, do not opt for an SF-97.

I paid the money for an SF-97 for the reasons above, and because I figured the SF-97 would be made in my name. Them saying it was instantly available and IP being such a large client and reseller of Government items, I figured they would be one the vendors that could fill out SF-97s at the time of sale, the same as if you go to a GSA fleet auction at an auto auction house, for example. Wrong. IP gives you the SF-97 Defense Logistics Agency fills out when selling to IP/Ritchie Brothers. I didn’t know IP was buying them and reselling, I thought they were contracted sellers of surplus property.

Either way, they give you the SF-97 they received when they buy it, and a notarized reassignment and transfer of title/SF-97. For anyone who is familiar with vehicle registration in NC, the state does not accept any type of reassignment or transfer of documents, the person on the title/SF-97 must register the vehicle and then obtain a new title and use that to transfer to the next buyer (you). This is a sham as well because they have the SF-97 in hand already, they get it for free when they buy the HMMWV, and are charging you $115 for a piece of paper that is worthless in NC and many other states. I called IP/RB asking if a new SF-97 could be drawn up, and if not, this is a worthless document. They said no.

When I went to the DMV to try to and register it, as expected, the main DMV said hard no, no matter how much I explained the situation. Which is what I expected. I went to a contractor DMV who cares much less, and they said they would accept it and give me my tag across the window , but there was a strong chance NC DMV would kick it back, send a letter, and invalidate the registration. So I opted to avoid that headache. I ended up having a NC DMV License and Theft Agent inspect the HMMWV as if I didn’t have a title, and they said they would put a report in the system that NC DMV would see if they flagged my registration. I then went back to the same contractor DMV, gave them the same SF-97, the NC DMV License and Theft report and form, and then all my other normal documents (proof of insurance, etc).

NC also requires an MVR-622 affidavit for HMMWV registration: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Documents/MVR-622.pdf

North Carolina General Statute 20-4.01(12h) defines a High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) as a four-wheel drive vehicle produced for military or government use and commonly referred to as a "HMMWV" or "Humvee".

This form must be signed by the title applicant I certify that the above mentioned vehicle is equipped with: a. Safety belt and anchorages that meet construction, design, and strength requirements under G.S. 20-135.2(a) and, if equipped with rear seats. G.S. 20-135.3 (a) b. Lights or lighting equipment, as required by G.S. 20-129 or G.S. 20-129.1

I had it in hand filled out, ready to pay the DMV for the notary witnessing my signature but they did not ask for it, so I didn’t submit it. We will see if that raises a flag with NC DMV. I received my tags that day, which really doesn’t mean much because they would have registered it the first time at the contractor DMV, so time will tell if I receive a follow-up letter from NC DMV Main. I don’t think I will and neither did the DMV employee. If I do, it will likely be for something minor like the lack of MVR-622. I don’t think they’ll pull the registration.

My Suggestion:

Pay for the title. It takes longer to come in, but it is a clean deal and easy. Hindsight being 20/20, I would gladly pay that now and wait, versus the headache I went through from October to February with my above issues.

Or do nothing and do a no-title registration through a bonded title: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-registration/special-cases/Pages/bonded-vehicles.aspx

NC Insurance:

My standard insurance company would not write coverage for it. Ended up going with Haggerty and moving an old pickup I have over to Haggerty at the same time. I have seen people on here say that Haggerty said they would not cover a HMMWV. Haggerty’s website does say classic military vehicles over 20 years old. My HMMWV is a 2007, but the gentleman I spoke with on a Saturday morning did not blink an eye. I was a new client and insured in less than 15 minutes.

NC State Inspection:

As always with a vehicle never registered in NC, you need a state inspection to be able to register a vehicle. Avoid the quick lube and Jiffy Lube. A local shop that has cool cars out front or techs that actually like cars will not try to jam you up on things that don’t actually fall under NC state inspections. Like how chain stores will try to tell you that a crack in the windshield will fail you, or that no reverse lights will fail you. A chip or crack in the windshield is not grounds for failure in NC, you don’t even have to have a windshield at all, but you do have to have functioning wipers to pass (even without a windshield, go figure). NC also does not require reverse lights to pass, which your HMMWV is not equipped with normally, so don’t let a shop ruin your day over that. These HMMWVs are usually rough fresh out of auction, so those issues may come up to a shop that legit think they are pass/fail issues (they aren’t).

You only need a safety inspection, even if you’re one of the few counties left that require emissions. All diesels are emissions exempt in NC, and your HMMWV has a federal emissions exempt label on the engine as well.

At the DMV Window:

When this was all sorted out, they are finally registering it, and the DMV lady was having issues getting it to go through. When inputting the six digit ‘VIN’ it was forcing her to select a trailer manufacturer. While I sat back down, she called NC DMV Main. Someone there, live time, added ‘AMG’ into the system for vehicle manufacturer for AM General. I was called back to the window, and finished up, and that’s what my registration reads now (and title, if everything flies through). So you might need to tell your DMV person that the make is ‘AMG’ to avoid any speed bumps.

Hope that helps! If I get my title in the mail soon, then I know everything is good to go. If I don’t or run into any issues, I will update. Happy to answer any questions.

honor first

My buyer on this site who lives in NC walked into DMV with an SF97 from myself and walked out with tags and plates…I did provide him with a BOS and a power of attorney as well.
You can for sure. Like I mentioned, they were willing to go ahead and register and tag it then and there and I would have left with a road legal car.

The issue is that NC DMV does not accept that as a legal transfer. They don't accept any "floating" or reassignment of titles or ownership documents outside of dealers. The major concern I had and the reason I pulled back and I went down a different path is if you want a title from IP after they send you their SF-97 from DLA, they need the SF-97 back to get a title (because that SF-97 is the only titling document in existence for that unit at that time). My concern was that if NC DMV denied the registration via a letter to me and then I wanted to go ahead and go the title route through IP, I would need the SF-97 back, but would be unable to get it back from the abyss of the DMV central processing facility or wherever that paperwork goes through.

The reality is I probably could have gotten away with it the same way y'all did, simply because of the volume of documents that go through the system a day, it has to be tens of thousands of registrations. But like when you're doing 18 over on the freeway along with everyone else, most get away with it. But when you're the one they nab, it suddenly wasn't worth it :ROFLMAO:

honor first

Make the above post yesterday, title came in today. Sometimes things just go your way.

AMG is indeed the manufacturer, so you can provide that to the DMV folks whenever anyone registers so they don't get all sketched out when they can't find a manufacturer and end up having to call NC DMV Central, which can go one of many ways.

Coonass77

My buyer on this site who lives in NC walked into DMV with an SF97 from myself and walked out with tags and plates…I did provide him with a BOS and a power of attorney as well.
Likewise. I've registered 5 Humvees in NC with an SF97. I always opt to spend the extra $100 for the instant title option. In and out in about 15min with the new title and plates. Easy peasy. My last 2 have been registered/renewed for 4+ years with absolutely no issue.

Reactions: OBX
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks