• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Norwegian Army: what vehicles in '74-75?

Wile E. Coyote

Hopefully someone knows, but what 1/4 ton - 1/2 ton vehicles and what 2-1/2 ton - 5-ton vehicles were in use by the Norwegian Army around 1974-1975? Were they painted that odd angular splinter cam - or just some form of OD green? I've seen some pics of hardtop Land Rover Series III 109s in splinter cam, but can't find anything else on the web or in any of my reference stuff. Reference pics or pointers to same would be great. This is all going to wind up on an A-list film, so I need to get it right or I'm sure there'll be some spankings. And not the fun kind. There's a lot of pics of the 40s-60s period where they were still using CCKWs and the like...but nothing from the mid 70s.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were still using CCKWs and WCs (that all looked showroom fresh) when I was stationed there with the Marines in 1980. This is past the period you are asking about, but it shows that they were still using them then, so we can probably safely presume they were using them 5 years earlier. ;)

I also saw M35s, M3 half-tracks (!), Unimog 416s, Volvo Laplanders, Land Rovers of various types, Weasels, and an occasional M38A1 jeep (some with hard tops). There were more, but 35 years on, they get fuzzy.

All their vehicles I saw were straight green, no camo.

The attached photos aren't great, they are pictures of photos in my album, which weren't great to start with!

Cheers

PS - the white X on the Volvo marked it as an umpire during NATO exercise Teamwork 80. I took that photo from my position as road overwatch as an M60 gunner.

Attachments

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

May 18th, 2016

Wile E. Coyote:

Wild? CCKW? Not if you maintained them, had spare parts, and were willing to accept 25-35 year old technology that could get the job done at very low original acquisition costs. Believe it or not, the Italian State Railways are still using our Ex-US Army Transportation Corps Whitcomb diesel locomotives built during WWII for overseas services....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I missed the Chafees! Plenty of Leopard 1's though.

And, in reviewing the thread, I failed to mention earlier that the splinter camo vehicles mentioned in post 1 were probably Swedish. We had some limited interaction with them, their border was considered a little more "friendly" and flexible than the Russian border. They used that splinter camo on their vehicles, helos, and jets. Looked pretty cool, and it was effective.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks