• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not getting 24v at the batteries

HDN

Where exactly are you poking with the meter probes? I had a problem like this on the remote terminals on my 2012 Chrysler 200. Turns out there was enough corrosion on the outer surface of the terminal nuts that no electricity was getting to my meter. A wire brush wouldn't get the stuff off, so I ended up using a Dremel with a grinding bit to clean the remote terminals. After that my meter got sensible readings.

HDN

There SHOULD be zero voltage difference because of the wire that goes from the bottom left lug to the bottom right lug! Voltage difference is found inside each battery, not from one battery to the next when connected in series.
I was wondering about this too. I need to brush up on my electrical stuff - thanks!

ToddJK

I'll add, if you ever decide to add a battery equalizer, do not use Amazon or a cheap one... I learned my lesson, bought a cheap one off Fleabay and it shorted out causing one of my batteries to explode and a major short that burned bout every light on the truck as well as my temperature, oil pressure gauges.

HDN

I'll add, if you ever decide to add a battery equalizer, do not use Amazon or a cheap one... I learned my lesson, bought a cheap one off Fleabay and it shorted out causing one of my batteries to explode and a major short that burned bout every light on the truck as well as my temperature, oil pressure gauges.
What is a battery equalizer, exactly? I just have a 12V Deltran Battery Tender hooked up to each of my batteries. Are the Battery Tenders the same thing as an equalizer?

Hummer Guy

I heard about things like this happening, this is why I try to just stick with 24v accessories

ToddJK

I heard about things like this happening, this is why I try to just stick with 24v accessories
Same here, but it's just to keep the batteries at the same energy levels since the first one in the series is typically overcharged. I think I'll just switch the batteries around once a month or so for now on until I find a quality unit. As far as accessories go, I only have auxillary lighting and it's all LED so it all gets 24V and those I have ran to a fuse box.

ToddJK

What is a battery equalizer, exactly? I just have a 12V Deltran Battery Tender hooked up to each of my batteries. Are the Battery Tenders the same thing as an equalizer?
Like Mullaney said, but mine has wires that ran from the (-) and (+) with a wire that connects to the ground on one of the batteries so it can transfer energy to whichever battery has a lower voltage to equalize them or keep them balanced. Apparently the only thing weaker than an electrical Chinese component is fricken toilet paper 🤦 🤣.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks