• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP242 questions

Skrilex

Banned
How hard is it to adapt other transmissions to the np242? I can’t find much info on it but it seems tough and some people convert to 2wd transfer cases with their engine swaps and I’m hoping not to require this.

I saw it cliamed that the 242 can reside with the 46re auto, does this mean it could easily adapt to 47re?

Id also like to know how hard it is to add the 2wd selection on the t case like some of the civilian applications had? (Contrarian? Lol)

Last edited:

Crazyguyla

three things that may prevent the swap from working: bolt holes/ mounting & spacing, transfer case clocking, and input shaft depth/ tooth count. When I changed the transmission in my Jeep from a TF999 to a TF727, all the bolt holes lined up. The tranfercase's clocking was slightly different. It hung down a half inch lower, but I was still able to get the skid plate mounted back. Finally, I had to change the input on the transfer case since the old and new transmissions had different tooth counts on the output shafts. Hope this helps

Marcus

DatGuyC

I have a NP242 that I adapted to the back of a 47rh for my cummins project. I had to change the input gear on the transfer case to something with the proper tooth count to mate with the transmission output shaft. There are also a couple other things to look for on the input gears but I cant exactly remember what they are right now. Other than the input gear it should bolt right up.

Good link to the differences on input gears:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

I think you would need the 23 spline Long length, narrow bearing, late gear cut. I still have the stock np242 input gear I can take pictures of if you want.

Last edited:

Skrilex

Banned
I have a NP242 that I adapted to the back of a 47rh for my cummins project. I had to change the input gear on the transfer case to something with the proper tooth count to mate with the transmission output shaft. There are also a couple other things to look for on the input gears but I cant exactly remember what they are right now. Other than the input gear it should bolt right up.

Good link to the differences on input gears:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np-nvg-input-gears/

I think you would need the 23 spline Long length, narrow bearing, late gear cut. I still have the stock np242 input gear I can take pictures of if you want.
That would be great! I was going to reach out to you because I was reading some old threads about your project and it seemed like you were deep into it, just like I’m thinking. Still deciding on engines, but I haven’t ruled out the 6bt but the main hurdle I’d want to know is that I can retain the awd of the np242 or similar, so if you did it and it’s possible then I’m going to lean more that way again likely.

Thanks guys this is great info! Yes I’d take any pics and I’d ask that you meditate, dig deep and think back to that time for me, thanks!

Skrilex

Banned
three things that may prevent the swap from working: bolt holes/ mounting & spacing, transfer case clocking, and input shaft depth/ tooth count. When I changed the transmission in my Jeep from a TF999 to a TF727, all the bolt holes lined up. The tranfercase's clocking was slightly different. It hung down a half inch lower, but I was still able to get the skid plate mounted back. Finally, I had to change the input on the transfer case since the old and new transmissions had different tooth counts on the output shafts. Hope this helps

Marcus
Is it possible to reclock the case with a “clocking ring”? I’m imagining that the shaft would possibly be shorter than needed if a thick ring was used however.

Skrilex

Banned
Thanks for that, dat!

Looking at the tail housing on the 47rh it seems possible to weld new ears onto the case and redrill them to clock the t case differently if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks