• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nuts for MEP-002a

coastie

Good morning. I need nuts for the 4 connection lugs on my MEP-002a. Does anyone know what size they are? Thank you.

Crawdaddy

I don't know the size off-hand, but I do know Munchies knows. I think he told me it was a something by 14 thread. From what I understand, finding just the proper nut part of the split-nut setup is nearly impossible to impossible.

Also, if you're not running 3-phase loads, you can get away with just three because L2 is only used in 3-phase applications.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet you 10 donuts to a Quater, those are just regular nuts, commonly used on "split ear connectors", electricians use. Take the dimensions you get with a tape, and go to the commercial electric supply house in your area and buy the same size connector, and use the nut you get there. You might check at HD or the other place, but they might not have them that big. If they do, they will be cheaper there for you.

Use Noalox on the threads, when you assemble that stuff!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are a standard size nut from a "split Bolt" type of connector. Measure the best you can the outside diameter of the threads and then measure the threads on some at any electrical supplier. You'll need to buy the entire "split bolt" as they won't sell just the nuts.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Luck finding them at HD. This kind of connector is venturing into commercial/industrial electrical component territory...I doubt that HD will have anything. You'll be better off going to an electrical supplier.

212sparky

If you know what size it is i could look in my stock. I have around 200#s of those things. Problem is the ones under 750kcmil that i have are mostly aluminum not good brass.

coastie

I contacted Thomas & Betts and they do not make a connector that large. I ordered some brass 1-14 nuts from Mcmaster. I will just fab the little clamping tabs.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a distributor for Ilsco brand split bolts. They should have the size you need, I think they were the OEM of the ones the military used on our sets, but they would have been a special product run due to the special design of the bolt. But they should have something with the proper thread size you need.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks