• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nv4500

lonewolf90

I doing a nv4500 swap in my m1008 and was wondering if I would be able to do freeway driving 70mph after I get it in. The truck is completely stock.

dmetalmiki

As long as the system in general is well maintained, especialy the braking system, it should be good to go. Loads of information on that transmission on utube.

lonewolf90

Yes that was very helpful I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of freeway but was just mainly drving 60 or so. Thanks for the info

sweetk30

friend has a reg old civi k30 with 4.56 and 38" swamper tires .

he swapped the 465 4 speed for a nv4500 and he TOTALY loves the new highway cruising ability to and from play days at local clubs and such .

rsh4364

I will always keep my 1009s,but my dream truck is a 1008,with 35" tires,NV4500 trans and 4:10 gears.At 70mph it would pull around 2000 rpms and at 60 around 1725 rpms getting real close to the peak torque range,should yield close to 20 mpg in that range.Of course the dream doesn't end there,next would be a turbo set-up.And it goes on and on.

Last edited:

lonewolf90

I wanted to change the axle gearing to 4.10 or 3.73 but it's cheaper to do the Trans swap for me. I have never messed with with axles before. I'm not real sure on the how to set the gear mesh and if you got to far you have to restart with a new crush sleeve

lonewolf90

I hear ya. My wife just gave me the green light to restore my m1008 so I'm going to sand blast the body repaint it swap to a nv4500 and last but not least I'm getting a 6.5 turbo diesel

dstang97

Just finished a nv4500 swap in my m1008. I'm running 37's and love the overdrive. Love this tranny over a th400. Should have done this years ago.

quickfarms

What's wrong with a Gear Vendors Overdrive? It's the most plug and play solution for your application. And you don't need to add a clutch pedal and cut a new hole in the floor. They claim a 22-28% increase in mileage. Obviously this is just a suggestion. Here's a link to their webpage: https://www.gearvendors.com/4x4gm3s.html
It only works in two wheel drive.

Cost is about $ 3100 plus the rear driveshaft

Keith_J

A GV OD loses out in the torque converter slip. Best is manual OD. 4L80E offers lockup torque converter but there still is a good bit of loss off the pump.

you only gain a trifle economy by going to a lower cruise engine speed. Overdrive just lets you go faster where drag increases as the square of speed.

acesneights1

Yes you will. Mine is almost idling at 70mph with 35's.
Best bang for the buck is an NV swap and it's practically bolt in. If you can use a 96+ tranny with internal slave as this makes a future Cummins swap much easier when the boat anchor 6.2 gives up the ghost.
I have a very detailed thread on the swap at dieselplace under the same used name. Here too I think.

rsh4364

A GV OD loses out in the torque converter slip. Best is manual OD. 4L80E offers lockup torque converter but there still is a good bit of loss off the pump.

you only gain a trifle economy by going to a lower cruise engine speed. Overdrive just lets you go faster where drag increases as the square of speed.
I would not call a 27% reduction in rpms at speed, be it 60 or 70 mph a small gain in economy/mpg. OD transmissions weren't made to increase top speed but to increase economy of motor.

Last edited:

quickfarms

I would not call a 27% reduction in rpms at speed, be it 60 or 70 mph a small gain in economy/mpg. OD transmissions weren't made to increase top speed but to increase economy of motor.
It depends on how you look at it.

The overdrive transmission came out at a time when increased fuel economy and speed were both an issue.

The national speed limit was increased from 55 mph to 65 mph, this was an 18% increase in speed.

Now 15 states have speed limits at 80 mph or above.

Now the class 8 highway trucks are going to a higher axle ratio and a direct drive transmission to reduce the parasitic loss in the overdrive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks