• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nylon 'Equalizing'? Line on Gas Tank?

dherman304

While installing my 2" body lift I could tell the nylon tube that connects the front to the back of the gas tank wasn't going to stretch and fit while still going the subframe. I cut the compression fitting off to pull through the subframe thinking that would give me enough slack to reconnect but it doesn't. Now I need to replace it... but do I? There must be a reason to connect the front of the gas tank to the rear but I dont know what it could be, sloshing???

The nylon tube connects to the front of the fuel tank with a brass elbow then connects to the tee towards the back of the fuel tank where small fuel filler overflow tube connects.

Unless anyone can give a good reason why this line exists Im capping both ends tomorrow.

87cr250r

“In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.”
--Chesterton's Fence

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When it comes to things I don't understand on my truck, I usually err on the side of "if they bothered to put this on here when they built it, then it probably serves a real purpose. Just because I don't know what the purpose is doesn't mean it isn't there for a good reason"

Or in other words, I don't usually think I'm smarter than the people that designed it. Especially for things with unknown purpose.

It might have to do with proper venting of the fuel tank when filling, and when driving on slopes, to prevent issues having to do with the tank vent system. I'm sure you could probably run your truck without it and not have any noticeable issues for 99% of the conditions you would put the truck through, but it's that 1% that gets you.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used it as is with no issues with my 2" body lift as you space the fuel tank 2" from the body so the tank is in the same position as far as the frame goes.
You should have just disconnected it and left it with the frame.

dherman304

I used it as is with no issues with my 2" body lift as you space the fuel tank 2" from the body so the tank is in the same position as far as the frame goes.
You should have just disconnected it and left it with the frame.
maybe mine was replaced and cut just barely long enough in stock form because there was no way it was reaching from front to back while still going through the frame, it was a solid inch short.

Looks like Im buying a compression union, that should give me an inch or two and reconnect it all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks