• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Object on humvee wheel

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

FKAM

The "winch" ability was just a function you could do with it and not the primary reason. That is where you attached a clevis for air lifting/tie down the vehicle prior to the development of the rear airlift bumper or if it didn't have the airlift bumper upgrade.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch is definitely not the primary reason. Same purpose as M151 M715 etc, you move the rear tie down shackles to the wheel end to provide a tie down point on rail cars, airdrop pallets, C130/C17 etc.
That “winch” idea comes from a WWII era FM.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone actually tried this? The bar must be bent after it is placed into the hub to clear the rim, I would like to see a video of this ACTUALLY being put to practice, and if that is actually what they are for why are they not on the front also??
I am not sure what they were actually for, pre air lift bumper sounds the most logical as they all came with air lift front loops, I have seen many tie down schemes and none used those points.

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

Humblejim

OK, so the primary purpose of the whatchamacallit is to secure the Humvee for transport secondary use possibly a winch. Maybe

Reactions: HDN

Humblejim

Thanks for clearing that up, no load master has ever seen it used so it’s primary purposes? Next question, is there any issues titling a Humvee in North Carolina?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks