• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Obscure question, MEP-831A

2Pbfeet

I agree with @kloppk that crank does sound weak. Can you jump this with a strong set of batteries?

Just going to ask two dumb questions for when you get the magnet/cranking issues sorted; did you check to make sure that the pin in the pump engaged the fork in the rack (by checking under the trapezoidal plate), and did you bleed the air out of the fuel system all the way to the injector?

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your actuator isn't lifting off the magnet when you engage the starter!
By staying on the magnet fuel is prevented from being sent from the new metering pump to the injector.

View attachment 920389

It's cranking kind of slow. Maybe not enough voltage to cause the governor controller to pop the actuator off the magnet or maybe a bad governor controller or other issue causing it to not lift off.

Try manually lifting the arm off the magnet and then try starting it.
Once I pulled out that pin, the actuator armed moved freely... and it's doing much better. It's almost starting... you can tell it wants to.

So close now.

2Pbfeet

Once I pulled out that pin, the actuator armed moved freely... and it's doing much better. It's almost starting... you can tell it wants to.

So close now.

Have you bled the diesel line all the way to the injector? Are you getting no bubbles at the injector?

I ask because in the video it looks to me as if there is air swirling around in the bowl of your filter. These engines are fairly intolerant of air in the line from the pump to the injector, and I'm wondering if you have air in your diesel line.

Allthe best,

2Pbfeet

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you bled the diesel line all the way to the injector? Are you getting no bubbles at the injector?

I ask because in the video it looks to me as if there is air swirling around in the bowl of your filter. These engines are fairly intolerant of air in the line from the pump to the injector, and I'm wondering if you have air in your diesel line.

Allthe best,

2Pbfeet
I didn't bleed the line yet, but I will now.

I'm also replacing that metal injector line... it's still wanting to leak just a bit around that top fitting.

2Pbfeet

I didn't bleed the line yet, but I will now.

I'm also replacing that metal injector line... it's still wanting to leak just a bit around that top fitting.
If it is leaking there, you might want to check really carefully for debris, or a scratch, or any imperfection on both the injector and the injector line and giving the mating surfaces a thorough cleaning before replacing anything. A leak there will also have a significant impact on the ability of the injection system to develop enough pressure to inject diesel, just like air in the line.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the fuel leaks have been fixed (after replacing the injector and the injector line).

Still won't start.

BTW, does anybody know if you can start the genset via that exterior 24v auxiliary port? Can it support the kind of amperage that the starter draws? If so, where would one go to get the proper male plug?

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cool... found this bougie-looking plug on Ebay, amidst all the rotten/broken/corroded/clapped-out milsurp ones:

I'm going to run a couple of external batteries to ensure I have enough starting amps.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
should start with the rope no problem. crack the line at the injector and hold the decompression valve and pull till you get fuel out of the line. tighten the line push in the decompression valve and pull the cord should start unless you have bad rings or internal damage

Fungal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... so that huge plug arrived that I bought off of Ebay.

Holy smokes... what an absolute unit this thing is. The plug itself weighs several pounds, and appears to be very watertight. Even came with all the washers and bolts:

I went ahead and ran some 2 AWG battery cables in there, and tightened everything down. I put a powerpole connector on the end so I can easily disconnect the batteries.

Fits like a glove:

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK... so that huge plug arrived that I bought off of Ebay.

Holy smokes... what an absolute unit this thing is. The plug itself weighs several pounds, and appears to be very watertight. Even came with all the washers and bolts:

I went ahead and ran some 2 AWG battery cables in there, and tightened everything down. I put a powerpole connector on the end so I can easily disconnect the batteries.

Fits like a glove:

Don't forget to cover your internal battery cables on the 831 since you are not going to put batteries in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks