• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off-road or folding mirrors

gary1978

I'm completing my Bobber project and expect to be operating it in a wooded area periodically. I'd like to use some kind of rearview side mounted mirrors that are NOT the "West Coast" type mirrors. Those just stick out too far and will get bent in the woods. Is there any source for a smaller, or even a "foldable" mirror that doesn't look plastic or commercial that I could mount on my Deuce? I know I don't need mirrors in the woods, but they would be very handy in the drive to and from the woods.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The west coast mirrors will fold up if the outer arms are not tightened hard.
If, and only if, you hit the obstacle in a certain way.

I have bent the cowling on 2 different trucks, because of the way I touched an obstacle and it pulled the mirror assy. (legs and all) with it.

I have been considering some kind of plastic "sheer pin" arrangement for the mirrors. You get to keep the goodness of the west coast setup, you don't have to take them off every time you go offroad but it's the best level of protection if you slide in mud or misjudge a distance and hang the mirrors. Theoretically the plastic bolts would break before a level of load that would bend sheetmetal or mirror arms.

I've thought a lot about this, but it's a "simple in theory, complex in execution" kind of idea.

1. Once you had several samples, the only way to test their effectiveness would be to intentionally crash your truck into trees. rofl

2. They'd have to be soft enough to break, yet strong enough to withstand wind at 60mph.

3. Liability issues: If you do this and mirror comes off on the interstate, that's a whole bunch of liability.

RAYZER

A modification to the old style single arm mirror that I've thought about is, cut the arm in two a few inches from where it's welded to the windshield hinge, then drill holes so to create a hinge point on the arm itself.

gary1978

The modification to the old single-arm style seems the easiest to fabricate. Any idea where I could find a pair of the old single arm, or Vietnam era mirrors & brackets? I've also thought of just making up a pair of brackets from 3/16 x 1" flat stock. But before I start making things from scratch, I'd sure like to use something more off-the-shelf.

RAYZER

The modification to the old single-arm style seems the easiest to fabricate. Any idea where I could find a pair of the old single arm, or Vietnam era mirrors & brackets? I've also thought of just making up a pair of brackets from 3/16 x 1" flat stock. But before I start making things from scratch, I'd sure like to use something more off-the-shelf.
I would post a wanted add, someone must have a set they want to sell or trade.

RAYZER

It would be easy enough to duplicate a set of flat style brackets and have them welded to the windshield hinges, the square mirrors and L brackets are chevy.

gary1978

I posted a wanted ad. I also found the actual mirrors (approx 7x10 rectangular) on flea-bay. I can make the straight pieces to attach to the door hinges and make a spring loaded attachment to the front. But what I would have a hard time making are the two short curved tubes that connect the bars to the mirror back. I might just have to get some 1" DOM tubing and have it bent. I can machine inserts for the ends. But maybe someone will just answer my ad and I won't have to fabricate anything. But Lt Dan's mirrors really look like just what I need.

w3azel

Mirrors like these fold in unless you tighten them up too much.
I have those mirrors on my truck and they have held up well so far. But I also stop and push them in if I see I'm going to hit a tree. For the most part though branches and bush haven't damaged them. I will say it is hard to find trails that will fit my big beast. Even on the trail I use to get down to our river spot almost every other week gets branches and brush ripped off by my truck as it goes through. I'm thinking I switching to a foldable west coast mirror though cause backing up especially at night is a total pain when my mirrors are so small.

olly69

I have those mirrors on my truck and they have held up well so far. But I also stop and push them in if I see I'm going to hit a tree. For the most part though branches and bush haven't damaged them. I will say it is hard to find trails that will fit my big beast. Even on the trail I use to get down to our river spot almost every other week gets branches and brush ripped off by my truck as it goes through. I'm thinking I switching to a foldable west coast mirror though cause backing up especially at night is a total pain when my mirrors are so small.
Just a suggestion, as seen on this site before, why not install backup cameras? Like this at http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM34WI...=1401464274&sr=8-1&keywords=back+up+video+cam
This is so cheap that you could put one on each side, that way you don't have to worry about your mirrors when up on narrow trails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks