• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Official" name of the tow pintle?

sgtrisk

I want to get an adapter for a standard tow bar to tow an M105A2 trailer. What is the magic name for the clamp device? I've seen some that simply clamp down over an existing ball, sort of.

Thanks!

Mike_Pop

Brad,

It's always been my understanding that the part on the vehicle is the pintle, and the part on the trailer is the lunette or eye. Having a square tube mounted on the vehicle is called a receiver, which a pintle or ball hitch would slide into.

Do you have a picture of the "standard tow bar"? That might help.

sgtrisk

No, no picture. But I believe that have identified all the parts. What I want to do is make (or buy) a hitch assembly that I can slide into a Class 3 receiver to be able to tow trailers with the lunette/eye mount. I figure I'll pick up a set of magnetic 12v lights to slap on the back of the trailer with a standard connector for the truck.

The idea is to assemble this so that I can borrow a friend's truck to move stuff around when I purchase it. Easier than running the Deuce all the way to a GL location!

Thanks for the response!

Barrman

TSC has what you need. Figure a little over $100 for the heavy duty reciever with a bolt plate on it and the heavy duty pintle you can bolt to it.

M1075

You will probably want one that has a drop/rise. The tongue height on most military trailers (esp M101 and M105) is much higher than the receiver height on most civilian vehicles. Here is a picture of mine pintle hitch receiver adapter in use with a M105:

Attachments

Mike_Pop

I totally agree on buying a hitch that you can move up or down. On my 2500 Suburban, I have a receiver that has ten holes on either side. It allows me to tow just about any military trailer and keep it level. It was $75 at a local trailer shop, plus the pintle for $50.

sgtrisk

Yeah! Yeah, that's it!!

I guess I can measure the height of the pintle on the back of the Deuce tonight to get an idea of how high the hitch needs to be to ride level. But that may be WAY impractical for a POV! I'll likely be using a pretty beefy 4x4 truck, so a riser like you have above should work.

I'll check out TSC. Thanks, guys!!

dittle

Also check out Northern Tool as I got my set for under $100 from them and their insert had a bigger vertical adjustment than TSCs

sgtrisk

BTW, do you guys have any idea how much TIME you saved me from searching around the internet and calling trailer places?? Thanks again!! I love this group of folks!

I love my truck, too!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce pintle hitch is about 34" high.

Mike_Pop

RE: pintle

Geez...a little over kill on the support brackets on your hitch?

Was that something you bought and added brackets to or did you make it all yourself? I was able to buy a similar hitch for $65 with only one support bracket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks