• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio vehicle code - HEY CRAIG!

grounded

Banned
tags stay in glove box

O she wasnt going to let me keep driving it.

told me its a commercial truck
need my DOT numbers,
inspection sticker,
threw a fit over no mudflaps,
no log book,
Class "A" to drive it.

I just laughed and argued with the she bear today. she finally left and told me not to drive it. I started my dang truck up and took off. i have been apast about 5 scale houses LOADED, numerous cops and no issues. AND yes im tagged and insured. HATE dumb popos

before anyone gives me crap also YES i have a CLASS "A" with full edorsments

Last edited:

dentman

Hell that sounds like alot of hassle. I just put on some BDUs and drive......:twisted:

thats funny!! the SS member I bought my deuce from said the same thing... so I did. well OD green t shirt anyways.

This brings up an interesting discussion though; what means would an in service MV driven by servicemen/women have of ID when on civi roadways - in and out of civi mercantiles?

ida34

The military issues driver's license based on being able to drive certain vehicles. You are supposed to be checked out to drive them and new vehicle types are added to the license. When in the states you also need a valid civy driver's license. You would also have to have the dispatch paperwork from the motor pool when you checked the vehicle out. At least that is the way it worked back in the early 90's. Not to mention, they would also need a military ID. When in theater for Desert Storm we did not need a civy license but still needed the military license.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I don't know about "dressing the part", but I do know I stencil my plates on the trucks and keep the plates in the map compartment and I have yet to havde trouble. I was pulled over once so the LEO could ask where he could get one. I keep a copy of that page printed, just in case the LEO forgot the statues. Everyone has been great. Respect in, respect out.

So far. :wink:

dk8019

No issue here so are, historic tags on the rear of the vehicle above on the flap. Ohio's code seems extremely confusing to me in regards to heavy vehicles. It seems that the CDL exceptions pretty much allow no CDL as longs as it isn't used for commercial applications, or transporting large >15 people at a time. It seems that everything I could ever use them for would allow me to use them without a CDL and with historic plates. I know alot of you use them commercially, and I'm guessing this requires the CDL for the most part, is this understanding more or less correct?

gimpyrobb

They are interpreted alot. The way I see it, you are correct. Under 26,000lbs, less than 15 people, not commercial. I use historical plates and the lae states no need to display tags. I stencil the tag on the front and rear and then keep a tag in the map compartment along with the red box printed up.

dk8019

Gimpy,

The weight limit thing confuses me the most honestly, here's the exceptions to the normal circumstances requiring Ohio's CDL:

• A "Farm Truck"; ("Farm Truck" means a truck controlled and operated by a farmer for use in the transportation to or from a farm, for a distance of no more than one hundred fifty miles, of products of the farm, supplies for the farm, or other purposes connected with the operation of the farm. The truck must be operated in accordance with Ohio Revised Code, Section 4506.02(B2) and is not used in the operation of a motor transportation company or private motor carrier.)
  • Fire equipment for a fire department, volunteer or non-volunteer fire company, fire district, or joint fire district;
  • A public safety vehicle used to provide transportation or emergency medical service for ill or injured persons; ("Public safety vehicle" has the same meaning as in divisions (E)(1) and (3) of Ohio Revised Code, Section 4511.01 ORC)
  • A recreational vehicle; ("Recreational vehicle" includes every vehicle that is defined as a recreational vehicle in Ohio Revised Code, Section 4501.01, and is used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business or profit)
  • A commercial motor vehicle within the boundaries of an eligible unit of local government*, if the person is employed by the eligible unit of local government and is operating the commercial motor vehicle for the purpose of removing snow or ice from a roadway by plowing, sanding, or salting, but only if either the employee who holds a commercial driver's license and ordinarily operates a commercial vehicle for these purposes is unable to operate the vehicle, or the employing eligible unit of local government determines that a snow or ice emergency exists that requires additional assistance.
  • A vehicle operated for military purpose by any member or uniformed employee of the armed forces of the United States or their reserve components, including the Ohio National Guard. This exception does not apply to United States reserve technicians.
  • A commercial motor vehicle that is operated for nonbusiness purposes. "Operated for nonbusiness purposes" means that the commercial motor vehicle is not used in commerce as "commerce" is defined in 48 C.F.R. 383.5 as amended, and is not regulated by the public utilities commission pursuant to Chapter 4919., 4821., or 4923.,of the Ohio Revised Code.
  • A motor vehicle that is designed primarily for the transportation of goods and not persons while that motor vehicle is being used for the occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation and not in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.
Number 4, 7, and 8 are the most interesting. It seems that the 26,000 GVWR goes away if any of those are true. I know plenty of guys that have large RVs that exceed 26K that drive them without CDLs, is this your experience? 7 and 8 would seem to apply to most of use if we don't use are larger trucks for commercial purposes, but I might not be reading this correctly.
Here's where the info came from:
Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

gimpyrobb

To be honest, the way you and I interpret it here has nothing to do with how a LEO might interpret it(or a judge). If you are worried about it, I'd ask a local cop. Stop in at the station and ask to speak to someone. I have historic plates and have had no problems for years of owning the MVs.

N1265

The problem I run into with asking a cop whats legal on some of these traffic laws is if you ask 3 officers the same question, you will get 4 different answers.

The standard reply from Cops around here is :

" well let me put it to you this way, I would not ticket you for that, at least not today "

When it comes to following the law,I just do whatever I feel like doing and then have the judge sort it out later....

dk8019

Gimpy,

Very, very true. I'll stick with what I've been told by those who should know, and have them write it down when required. N1265, I agree, when I asked 3 different BMVs, I got 3 widely different answers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks