• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Capacity Issues

Chris518

I have read in quite a few places that that an M35a2 trans takes 5 qts and the tranny takes 7 qts after a full drain. Yesterday I put 4 qts in the trans and it started overflowing out of the fill hole. I got frustrated and moved to the transfer case and put 4 qts in. Stuck my finger in and the oil level is right at the fill hole (too much).
Do I have my capacities wrong??
Is it best to pull the drain plug and just drain a little bit of fluid off to get the right level?
For reference, when I drained the fluids, i had the plug out overnight so it would drain everything. I am also pretty sure I did not pull anywhere near 5 qts and 7 qts out when draining.
Thanks in advance! You guys are always such a huge help!

m715mike

Check out Lubrication Order LO 9-2320-209-12-1
You can download a copy from the TM section on this site.

Transmission with PTO is 8.5 pts. (i.e., not qts)
Transfer case is 7 qts.

I bet 4 quarts in a transmission w/o PTO would make it over flow.

Chris518

Shoot! I had printed out that page of the LO and it definitely looked like a "q" rather than a "p". Thanks for the clarification. With that said, is there a reason they dont have a quantity listed for a transmission w/o a PTO?

m715mike

That’s a good question. My truck has a winch and the PTO, so I’ve never given it any thought.
I’m sure someone else will chime in.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Once drained thru bottom plugs that you put a new squish gasket onto and tightened then fill whatever it is thru the tell tale hole while vehicle is level. Too much and extra will come out and not enough and it won't rise far enough to come out. Just overfill it a smidge and let it sit a bit then plug it and you done.
It is a splash system, no pressure. Assure vent is clear to work.

Chris518

Once drained thru bottom plugs that you put a new squish gasket onto and tightened then fill whatever it is thru the tell tale hole while vehicle is level. Too much and extra will come out and not enough and it won't rise far enough to come out. Just overfill it a smidge and let it sit a bit then plug it and you done.
It is a splash system, no pressure. Assure vent is clear to work.
Ahhh, the rule of thumb answer I was just looking for. Thanks a bunch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks